1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message after start-up: Error loading C:/Windows/TEMP/msxm192z.dll

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by josgonefishing, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. josgonefishing

josgonefishing Thread Starter

Hello there!

I'm currently running Vista on my Compaq laptop. Unfortunately (long story) my key for Avast Antivirus expired in January 09 and I was unable to input the key code until September 09, so I guess the virus found it's way onto my computer during that time.
    I ran a scan after finaly inputting the key and Avast found several infected items. Some could be removed, but since that scan I've been getting the following message after starting-up the laptop:-

Error loading C:/Windows/TEMP/msxm192z.dll

Also, since the initial scan and appearance of this error message I've been having various problems -
    * Laptop running slow
    * Media player not running (won't open/run) - cannot play any music!
    * Photo Gallery icon blank and won't open - cannot access my photos!

I've since uninstalled Avast and installed a free version of AVG. Neither seem to be able to get rid of this virus.

I also followed the advice given to another member of this forum. I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    This is the MBAM report from the scan (which picked up several infected items):-

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
    Database version: 3253
    Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
    28/11/2009 12:17:00
    mbam-log-2009-11-28 (12-17-00).txt
    Scan type: Quick Scan
    Objects scanned: 98257
    Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 15 second(s)
    Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 2
    Registry Values Infected: 2
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 3
    Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)
    Memory Modules Infected:
    Registry Keys Infected:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\regedit.Exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    Registry Values Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\uid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\UpdateNew (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    Registry Data Items Infected:
    Folders Infected:
    Files Infected:
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\VRTD430.tmp (Malware.Tool) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp\VRTF345.tmp (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
    C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Temp\hi.bat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

However, I got a message saying the OLT program was infected, so I did not download it.

Even after successful removal and restart of my laptop using Malwarebytes, I STILL got the same error message and my photos are still inaccessible!!!!!:eek:

Please can anyone help me? This virus appears to be spreading to different apps in my laptop and I cannot seem to get rid of it through any anti-virus programs! :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice