Error message at start-up!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dougglos

Douglas
Recently, when I start my PC, I have been receiving the following lengthy error message:-

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_15.61.100.0_x86_kzf8qxtf38zg5c\Skype

"Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item"

This is all the more puzzling as I have not ever installed/used Skype !!

As mentioned, this error message appears every time I start up my PC. I then simply click to cancel that message and then progress normally.

The skype app is built into windows by default. That path message is telling you that it missing. So you've either uninstalled it or it's corrupted in some fashion.

Open up your store app and click the 3 dots at top right then click on download/updates then click update. This should update the skype app.

dougglos

Douglas
Followed your suggestion as far as "Downloads/Updates" but no sign of an option to click "Update". Just a list of about a dozen items including Skype!

dougglos

Douglas
Have just followed a suggestion in Google searches which lead me to Task Manager/Start-ups then disabling Skype, as it is something I would never need. That had the desired effect as I have restarted my system two or three times and the problem error message has not appeared again since. Will give it a short while, and then mark Solved.

dougglos

Douglas
As you say -and I have closed down and restarted two or three times just to make sure, and now no sign of the problem error message. Very happy, so many thanks !

DakBai

Dak
As you say -and I have closed down and restarted two or three times just to make sure, and now no sign of the problem error message. Very happy, so many thanks !
No problem. glad to hear it's all good!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online