1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message blue screen of death C000021a Fatal System Error Windows Logon Process

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lagueranyc, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lagueranyc

lagueranyc Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my sister in law's computer. Originally, she had that annoying XP 2008 virus/spyware, which I think I managed to get rid of with Malwarebytes' Anti Malware and System Mechanic 7. Now I have a new problem. After receiving a recent download from microsoft, upon restarting, I get the blue screen of death with this message;

STOP: C000021a (Fatal System Error) The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

I can't get anywhere into Windows, I've done F2, F8, F12, everything I could think of without risking more damage since I'm not trained for this. I've booted from the system mechanic CD with the Hard Drive recovery, and while it said it found and fixed a problem, it didn't fix this one. I have no windows CD. The computer is a Dell, and it's running Windows XP service pack 2 with Explorer 6. Heeeeeelp! Other than the F keys, I can't get anywhere with this computer.

2. srhoades

srhoades

I would yank the drive put it in another computer and scan it again for malware.

3. lagueranyc

How do I "yank the drive out"? I've already run the malware bytes scan, and the System Mechanic scan. Would there still be malware after all that? According to Microsoft's own site, the recent update could be the culprit. It apparently includes a command that many computers don't recognize and it causes the blue screen of death. Should I just get a Windows recovery CD? Will that help?

4. casefolder

casefolder

you could try to boot into safe mode, did you try that? In safe mode you could start the system recovery to a date, where the system ran well

If you get your XP running again there's a good tool to get rid of rootkits and other malware: Combofix. Especially because you mentioned this malware antivirus 2008. I had that once on my notebook too and it came with a variety of other malware. In order to reconstruct the start menu etc. (if destroyed) this is also a good tool and it's free.

5. lagueranyc

Yes, I tried that, but it didn't work. It would go to the XP logo screen, make a shut off noise, and give me the blue screen of death with the same message. I also tried last known good configuration, etc. My guess is that I would just have to reinstall windows?

6. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

7. lagueranyc

I appreciate the help, but that link states that you need the windows XP installation CD, which I don't have, and which microsoft no longer provides. Do you know where I can get one without having to purchase a new product key since I still have the original product key?

8. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

eBay?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/772043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice