1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message: gateway default is not available

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brianapal, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brianapal

Brianapal Thread Starter

I have a new D-Link DIR 655 router. My PC is connected to it by cable. 2 laptops connected by wireless are working fine.
    About half the time in the morning when I wake the PC I cannot get on the internet. States no internet connection. I have Windows (7) diagnose and correct the problem. In each case I get the message, "gateway default is not available" Windows does fix it and I am able to get on the internet.

Never had this problem with my previous modem.

Although I can fix it when it occurs, it is a pain plus not sure wife can do the fix if she logs on & has no internet access.

I have high speed broadband through cable.

Help!

2. AGTT

AGTT

The default gateway should be your router. I'm just thinking it migh not be pointing to the right IP address.

Try checking by going to the properties of the wired adapter (Network center
    through the icon near the system clock, and then go to the properties of the
    "Local Area Connection" link on the right side. Clock on "Details" and ckeck the
    IP address next to "IPv4 Default Gateway").

Also, if your Computer is set to have a static IP address, you migh want
    to check what default gateway you have.

You should have the local IP address of the router, 192.168.0.1 or whatever you
    set it if you did change it from the default.

Just check first, and please post back.

Thanks.

3. Brianapal

Brianapal Thread Starter

Actually when I opened that up I found that I was connected by wireless.
    When I clicked on Broadband Connection it was not connected. I tried to connect but got error message 651: the modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error. It also shows a time in seconds ticking down before it dials again. Also Broadband Connection is listed in a dropdown under Dial-up and VPN.
    Thus it appears to me the setup resulted in designating my Broadband connection as dial up. In fact I have high speed cable.
    Thus could not get what u wanted.
    When I clicked on properties of Broadband connection said obtain and IPv6 address automatically.
    IP address that I got from going to D-Link router page is 192.168.0.1

4. Brianapal

Brianapal Thread Starter

for IPv4 it again stated obtain address automatically

5. Brianapal

Brianapal Thread Starter

I now went to My Computer then Control Panel, then Network and Internet then clicked on Local Area Connection. Showed IPv4 Connectivity: Internet Speed: 1 GB per second
    Under properties:
    IPv4 address: 192.168.0.101
    IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    IPv4 Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    IPv4 DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
    IPv4 DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

6. AGTT

AGTT

I see all your IP addresses are correct, so that sould be OK, and not causing the problem.

I'm still thinking what could it be...

I'll reply again when I have some ideas.

Meanwhile, I'm investigating...

7. Brianapal

Brianapal Thread Starter

Based upon my last post to you it certainly appears that my original statement about being currently connected through the wireless connection was not true.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice