Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error Message (modem is not functioning!)

599 views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  JokerRose 
#1 ·
Hello.

Here's the deal ... I had a virus the other day, this forum helped me find a program to detect and delete it. The computer was working great. Then I get the bright (or maybe not so bright) idea to go to WindowsUpdate and see if there were any Critical Upates. There was 2. I wish I would have wrote down what they were. I know one of them was a security update that it said I needed because without it I was very vunerable. So I downloaded and installed the updates. Well, today I have had 3 error messages. The first two happened while my desktop was loading, I restarted my computer and it managed to load my desktop fine. The third error message happened when I was trying to connect to the internet. I wrote them down.

(1st error message while desktop was loading)
Terminating thread due to a stack overflow. A VxD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much disk space. Increase the setting of 'Min SPs' in SYSTEM.INI or remove recently installed VxD's. There are currently 5 SP's allocated.

(2nd error message that popped up when I hit "any key" to exit the first error message)
There are no spare stack pages. It may be necessary to increase the setting of 'Min Sp's in SYSTEM.INI to prevent possible stack faults. There are currently 6 SPs allocated."

But then I rebooted and it loaded fine, but when I tried to dial-up (via Juno):
(3rd error message)
"Windows Dial-Up Networking reported the following eror connecting to Juno's central computer:
You modem {or other connecting device} is not funtioning.
RAW error code: 666"

Now I dont' know what's related to what ... but if you have any ideas please let me know. Do I need to find a way to detect my modem? Do I need to reinstall Windows? Can I undo what I did last night at WindowsUpdate?

Thanks for any help.

JokerRose:confused:

PS I am using the downstairs computer to post this, so it would be simple for me to go upstairs, check something, and report it back to you.

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess I should have stated these computer facts:

I have a 1996 Compaq Presario
Windows 98
and I beleive EnternetExplorer 6
I use Juno for my dial-up internet

I hope that somebody can help me soon too. If there is somewhere I need to go on my computer and check or change or add a modem, I would love to know. Or a way to check what I installed last night for gliches ... I wish I knew.

:confused: JokerRose

#3 ·
Ok. I went into my Control Panel and opened the modem file. Here is the info that I obtained from there. I hope it helps!

Lucent Win Modem

(then I went to More Info)

COM1 No modem installed.

COM2 Lucent Win Modem.

(then I went to More Info for COM1)

COM1
Interupt: 4
Address: 3F8
UART: NS 16550AN

(then I went to More Info for COM2)

It brought up a window saying it was gathering information from COM2 but then another pop-up window came up and said: Couldn't open port.

Then I went to the Driver Info and for both COM1 & COM2 it said:

driver comm.drv
size 5872 bytes
date & time 4/23/1999 10:22PM

I hope that helps.

Thank you so much.

JokerRose

PS I went into device manager and checked the modem. Here is what it showed there.

Parallel Cable on LPT1

Serial Cable on COM1

(Then, I right-clicked the properties on the two.)

On the LPT1 one the port was ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

On the COM1 one the port was Communications Port (COM1) and the driver file in SYSTEM was VMM32.VXD(VCOMM.vxd)

I'm afraid I am still too much of a novice to even venture to start guessing. I hope this info is helpful!'

Also I right-clicked the properties on the my computer in the device manager and on the list it showed this
04 Communications Port (COM1)

PPS Could it be that when I downloaded that security update (or that same night sometime???) it somehow made my modem undetectable? COM1 is what my computer wants to use to connect, but there is no modem for it. I tried detecting my motem, but it didn't find it and gave me a list to choose from. I have no idea what the name of my modem that COM1 used until last night was. Maybe I am way off too. Like I've said, I'm only guessing here. One time I downloaded a driver update from WindowsUpdate and my computer couldn't dectect my CD drive D:/ until this forum helped me repair it. That is why I think maybe something like that may have happened.

Don't you.

#4 ·
I have 2 communication ports. My modem seems to be assigned to COM2 and not COM1 anymore. COM1 is the one that my computer wants to use to find the modem because it cannot connect to COM2. COM1 has no modem. How do I get my modem back on COM1 without the disk? (I do have my windows98 CD still though.) Or if it happened because of the security critical update I downloaded, how I do repair that?

Thank you for any help please.

JokerRose

#5 ·
I got a tip from another computer help forum and thought that I would post it here. It may help somebody else with a similar problem. This fixed what was wrong with my computer by putting it back the way it was. Lucky for me I installed the update a little past midnight, so I knew exactly when to restore my computer too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jessica,

Try this go to start , run , type command, click on ok. This will give you a dos prompt type this exactly as I am here scanreg /restore. Notice there is a space affter the g. Choose a date before you got the update, hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.