1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message "NEW CPU INSTALLED!" At Startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MtR, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MtR

MtR Thread Starter

Hey Guys, first of all Hi to everyone on the forums, its my first post! (y)
    Basically I have had this problem for a pretty long time now, every time I turn the computer on I get the message

> New CPU Installed! Please enter SETUP to configure your system.
    > Press F1 to Run Setup
    > Press F2 to load default values and continue

My computer works fine, its just annoying to have to press F2 all the time.
    This started happening when I re-attached my whole motherboard onto a new case about 3 months ago. Everything works fine, but I get that message every time I
    boot up the computer, and have to press F2 all the time. I tried switching the CMOS Jumpers from position 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 seconds like the motherboard manual told me,
    plugged the cord back in, booted up but still the same problem..
    I googled this matter, but there wasn't really anyone who had had the same problem as me. It seems like a rare problem.. My motherboard is a P4P800. What do you guys think?

2. norton850

norton850

Have you pressed F1 and gone into setup?

3. MtR

MtR Thread Starter

I have, but I do not know where to go from there as I don't have any experience in BIOS.

4. MtR

MtR Thread Starter

Bump! :)

5. replay

replay

u could try to go into bios........and then press f10 (save) this will save the settings (even tho u didn't change anything).............worth a try!!

6. MtR

MtR Thread Starter

Nope, pressing F10 didnt help either. Perhaps its a BIOS problem though? Should I try flashing the BIOS?

7. replay

replay

u gotta know what u r doing when u attempt to flash the bios.......... altho' looks like u have a pretty up todate mobo which may have the asus auto update feature
    ...........be carefull

8. MtR

MtR Thread Starter

I have heard of the consequences if mistakes are made during the upgrade of a BIOS, what else could the problem be though?

9. replay

replay

got me there! ............. just wait abit and see if anyone answers your thread with an idea!

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all bios updates are done to correct a problem OR the update has addition features you need. Do not update a bios just because a new one is available.

Next are you loosing any other bios settings such as time / date?

Have you tried a new cmos battery?

11. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I was wondering when someone was going to suggest a new CMOS battery but if this des nto do it I have one question. Well actually more so here goes.

1. Who put the new processor in the computer?

2. If it was you did you ground your self properly before you pulled the old one out and then inserted the new processor?

3. Did you or anyone else touch any of the gold pins on the processor even accidentally?

If the gold pins where touched then it is for sure the processor has been damaged and more than likely going to take a dump and if not now soon. The human body can hold thousands of volts of static and this is enough to blow the processor CMOS material into oblivion.

If the processor was handled properly I would go thru the setup procedure for setting up all of the voltages properly and if you are trying to overclock the processor I would suggest just getting it working properly first then overclock it later on.

12. replay

replay

the poster states "My computer works fine" so him damaging (or blowing into oblivion)his processor during installation seems highly unlikely
    also he made no mention of overclocking ....... "setting up voltages properly":confused:

13. dobbelina

dobbelina

I have had the exact same error on the same mother board !
    (P4P800SE)
    Tried everything including updating bios, didn't work.
    I sent it to the Asus service center and they replaced/fixed it for me.
    Now it works.
    It's obviously something that needs to be fixed by them.

14. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    From what I heard, the human body can hold that much charge (about 10,000V is a slight zap, about 50,000V is the one you can see). That much charge going through something that works on 1.5-5V is the electric chair of computer parts.

BTW, the CPU needs to be registered in BIOS for it to, well, work.

15. MtR

MtR Thread Starter

In reply to ozrom1e's post, I didn't really replace the CPU at all, the whole motherboard was exactly the same on my old case; all I did was reattach the motherboard to a new case because the case was playing up. All I did was replace the graphics card and add some new RAM, and that settled perfectly. I didn't reattach anything on the motherboard itself.

How can I register my CPU in my BIOS? I searched for it on Google but nothing relevant came up..:rolleyes: Thanks in advance

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice