1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message on boot up only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aidendale, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aidendale

Aidendale Thread Starter

I started having this error message pop up about 2 months ago or so but it didnt happen each time so I looked past it but it start to happen on each start up funny thing is it never shows up on a reboot and at that my PC must be down for a few hours once I shut it down for this message to come back up. After I had it a while I delete my drive and reformatted it adding on just the basic's anti virus and spy ware and that was it after about 2 days I got the message once again everyone keeps saying how norton bites so I figured maybe it was possibly norton (only because people keep saying it causes problems)
    so I reformatted once again adding nothing to see if it came up again and it did.

Heres the message

We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked

If a previous start up attempt was Interupted due to a power failer or because the power or reset button was pressed , or if you arent sure what caused the problem , choose start windows normally

Optins then given to me are to Restart in Safe mode , Safe mode with net working , Safe mode with Command Prompt , Last known good configuration and Start normaly

I dont think its the ram because of programs I run that require ram and they run flawlessly once it gets to the desk top all programs run fine but on boot up its nothing to see this message. I checked all connections nothing was loose , I havent added or removed any hardware since I got this computer (which was a few years back) , any help or insite would be greatful. Thank you for you time

2. onsite

onsite

so since you have the option of safemode with networking, your os is either win2000 or xp.

It could be the ram, it could be the hd, it could be the cooling fan on the processor
    it could be an infection, since you did a reformat, probably not.

here is a free ramtest

http://www.memtest86.com/

it could be drivers , what type of mainboard, did you install any mainboard drivers ?

3. Aidendale

Aidendale Thread Starter

No I didnt download any drivers the second time I reformatted.
    I did the first time though but only graphics's card and sound card drivers as for my main board I didnt download nothing. You could have also seen my system spec's if you clicked on the small computer
    but yes I am running off of Windows XP

Pluss I also tried that site its another reason I know its not ram.

4. norton850

norton850

When you get to the options screen what do you do? Do any of the options work?

5. Aidendale

Aidendale Thread Starter

I get it right after the system stats and before it says Windows XP
    I usually pick Start Windows Normally and I have picked Last good known config but either way it still goes straight to my desk top and everything still runs prefectly.

6. onsite

onsite

This copy of XP, is it a burnt copy or is it the real thing with from Microsoft or an OEM ?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

that's an older version of memtest...how about we use this one:
    http://www.memtest.org/

8. Aidendale

Aidendale Thread Starter

no drivers installed at this time just msn messenger.
    my main board is EP-8K9AI

on my last reformatt I added nothing but messenger.

9. replay

replay

10. Aidendale

Aidendale Thread Starter

I dont think the problem is Drivers
    If it was then my first reformatt should have worked when I updated all my drivers
    which it didnt.

11. Aidendale

Aidendale Thread Starter

Its a real version of Windows XP Home
    I had the computer made about 4 years ago there has been no problems up untill now with it.
    I got the driver disks and windows xp home not a system with it just preloaded

12. Aidendale

Aidendale Thread Starter

Actually I just noticed something funny on boot up on the Stats Screen
    it said "Chassie Fan 0 RPM" also happends on reboots too

does this help to figure out what the problem is? I am sure it shouldnt be at zero.

So far I am thinking its the power supply but I am trying to make sure I am right.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice