1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message on bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CHAOSWEAV3R, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CHAOSWEAV3R

CHAOSWEAV3R Thread Starter

Just now my laptop is giving me a message when it boots. I turn it on and I get the regular HP screen, then it says...
    How do I fix this? And how exactly do I re-install this file?

2. spudnik

spudnik

boot the laptop with the windows disk, and choose to repair.

when you are prompted, use chkdsk /p

that should help.

3. The Hound

The Hound

From the MS Knowledge Base:

"Use the Bootcfg utility in the Recovery Console to correct the Boot.ini file:

1. Use the Windows XP CD-ROM to start your computer.
    2. When you receive the message to press R to repair Windows by using the Recovery Console, press the R key.
    3. Select the Windows installation that you want, and then type the administrator password when prompted.
    4. Type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
    5. When the Windows installation is located, the following instructions are displayed:
    Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)
    [Type Y in response to this message.]

Enter Load Identifier:
    [This is the name of the operating system. Type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition.]

Enter OS Load options:
    [Leave this field blank, and then press ENTER].
    After you perform the preceding steps, restart the computer, and then select the first item on the boot menu. This should allow Windows XP to start normally.

After Windows XP has successfully loaded, the Boot.ini can be modified to remove the incorrect entry.
    For additional information about how to edit the Boot.ini file, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    289022 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022/EN-US/) HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP "

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run Bootable XP Sysboot Floppy and boot from the floppy. If it boots, you have either a boot.ini problem or a problem with another startup file.

5. CHAOSWEAV3R

CHAOSWEAV3R Thread Starter

I forgot to mention. I don't have a floppy drive or the Windows disk for my laptop. So I don't know if I can do that. :(

6. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

If that doesn't work try sfc /scannow. It'll try to recover system files, which "HAL.dll" is.

Or: To recover this file boot the Windows operating system CD and choose the option to "restore", "repair", or "recover". This option will prompt you for the Windows installation to use, the administrators password and will allow you to restore the proper file. At the MS-DOS prompt type the below command.

expand x:\i386\hal.dl_ y:\windows\system32\

In the above example "x" would be the letter of your CD-ROM drive and "y" the letter of the drive your operating system is installed on.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. I made you a bootable CD image that will do the same thing. Download the zip file, unzip it, and burn the iso file inside to a CD or CD-RW as an image. Boot from it. If your startup files are damaged, this CD will boot you into your system. Just try each of the menu items that comes up (The first is the usual one).

http://users.vtlink.net/~abraxas/Files/XPBOOT.zip

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!