1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message on startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MityLady, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MityLady

MityLady Thread Starter

I have been getting an error message the says IPHLPAPI.DLL file did not start up. What does this mean? When i click ok everything seems to be ok. It doesn't happen all the time but occurs often. Can you help? It also says something about checking file.
    Thank you,
    MityLady

2. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Go to http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download HiJackThis. Use Winzip to ]u]unzip[/u] it, then install and run it. To run, click the “Scan” button. When it's done the "Scan" button changes to "Save Log". Save the log file it creates (it should open in Notepad at that point). Copy and paste the results in your next post. IF you happen to be using a proxy server, please mention it in your post. Most of what it finds is harmless, so do not do anything yet. Someone will be glad to help you sort out any of the baddies that may be in there.

3. MityLady

MityLady Thread Starter

I am not sure what you mean , is this program "Hijack This" free and what exactly does it do? As to a proxy server I have AOL 9.0 if that is any help. Awaiting your reply. As you can tell i am very new to these things.
    MityLady

4. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

HiJack This is a free program that is used to view what programs are starting up when you first start your computer.

Altho the name may sound a little scary, it can show who/what has hijacked your home page, search page, who has planted adware and spyware on your computer and in many cases can point to a virus or trojan that is on your computer.

Since we can't sit in front of your computer and see what you see, it is a tool that we use to help us in helping you get a cleaner and better running PC

5. MityLady

MityLady Thread Starter

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 7:56:02 PM, on 9/13/2003
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\MIXER.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\REAL\REALPLAYER\REALPLAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL COMPANION\COMPANION.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\AOLTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\WAOL.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\SHELLMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\AOLWBSPD.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\TD_0001.DIR\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://aolsearch.aol.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online
    F1 - win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cmmpu.exe
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gainward] C:\WINDOWS\TBPanel.exe /A
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE"
    O4 - Startup: AOL Companion.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL Companion\companion.exe
    O4 - Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.aol.com
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/ansi/iuctl.CAB?37876.5199074074
    O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
    O16 - DPF: Pop Fu by pogo.com - http://popfu.pogo.com/applet/popfu/popfu-ob-assets.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

I think this is what you want

6. MityLady

MityLady Thread Starter

Hi, I haven't heard from you since i sent you the information so i don't know if this was the right information. Waiting for your reply.
    Thank You,
    MityLady

7. panzer999

panzer999

8. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Sorry it took so long for me or anyone else to get back to you :(

In Hijack This, check ALL of the following items. Double check so as to be sure not to miss a single one.
    Next, close all browser Windows, and have HT fix all checked.

F1 - win.ini: run=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cmmpu.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Gainward] C:\WINDOWS\TBPanel.exe /A
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Machine Debug Manager] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE

O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\VxD\MSTCP: Domain = aoldsl.net

Reboot into normal mode

Now download Spybot - Search & Destroy (if you haven't got the program installed already)

After installing, first press Online, and search for, put a check mark at, and install all updates.

Next, close all Internet Explorer windows, hit 'Check for Problems', and have SpyBot remove/fix all it finds that are in RED

Reboot

Last, run HJT again and post your log again to see if anything was missed.

Thanks

9. MityLady

MityLady Thread Starter

I did the thing in HiJack This and I hope that fixed it. So far the error has not appeared. As for the Spybot program I did not install it as i couldn't find the Spybotsd12.exe to download this program. Is this a free program and what is it's purpose in connection with HiJack This?I know i am asking a lot of questions but i am new to this and do not want to make any mistakes.Thank you for your patience and your help. looking forward to hearing from you.
    MityLady

10. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Try this link for SpyBot S&D, it takes you directly to the author's homepage.

http://security.kolla.de/

Go here for a write up on what SpyBot is and how it works.

http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/index1.html

Briefly it is the top rated program (and FREE) in it's field for finding and removing spyware and other malware along with all those intrusive advertising cookies you pick up as you surff the web.

The Immunize feature prevents a lot of spyware/malware and hijackers from installing themselves on your system. I run a full scan using SpyBot and also Ad-Aware on all my systems at least twice a week.

As with any scanning program, don't forget to always get the latest updates by going to the online button and clicking search for updates and then download them.

Any type of scanning program, antivirus, spyware scanners, trojan scanners, et al, are only as good as their latest updates.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice