error message on startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stikki

I am getting a message that says, hardware monitor found an error. Enter power setup menu for details. help please, not very computer savy! thanks

Do you get this message when you first turn your system on? Meaning before Windows?

stikki

yes, I think it has to do with the power supply fan, there is a blue,black, and white wire with small connector coming fron pwr supply that i think goes to motherboard. if hooked up when you start puter you get no error message but the fan will shut off about the time the startup music starts, if it is unhooked you get the error message but the fan will run all the time.

In the system BIOS often under the Power heading, there is a Hardware Monitor sub menu. (sometimes Hardware Monitor has its own Heading). I'm not sure I understand things though. You say if the fan connector from the power supply to the motherboard is not connected there is no error message. So when the error message first started and you checked the motherboard the connector was off?

stikki

i dont really know, this computer was having problems booting up, wouldnt start normally or in safe mode, just a continuos loop. finally fixed that somehow, have pulled power supply out to do some cleaning, but dont recall unhooking that wire.

if the wire is unhooked you get the error message, & fan runs continually
if wire is hooked you get no error message, but fan stops working

Attachments

Perhaps it just wasn't hooked back up. That connector allows the Hardware monitor in BIOS to monitor the speed of the Power supply fan. There usually are also connectors that do the same for the CPU and sometimes the Chassis fan(s). When disconnected whatever is causing the error message is not being monitored so no error message. I hope that made sense :)

Suggest you hook up the connector, get the error message and go into BIOS and see what it says in Hardware monitor about the fan. The problem might just be a setting. Most (all?) of the time that fan should be running.

stikki

I hooked connector up, hit restart, the fan starts running, hit f2 for bios setup: cpu fan speed 4480 rpm
pwr fan speed 2295 rpm
f10 to exit, then the xp home screen comes up, then the welcome screen comes up and about that time the fan shuts off, i get no error message when wire is hooked up. but fan will not continue to run.

i see an option to load setup defaults, what would that do?

Sorry I misread your post. So no error message with the connector attached. The monitor also allows for control of the fan speed. I'm somewhat surprised that it shuts off and would think that that would sound an alarm. Does it go back on after you use the system for a few minutes?

stikki

no, it stays off, has been setting on bios screen all this time and not running

That doesn't sound right, but not sure why it's doing that. No harm resetting defaults, probably won't help. Try it. Anyone else have comments?? :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online