1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error message on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loucat, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loucat

loucat Thread Starter

on startup of a gateway 220 I get an error mesage of 104 can you please tell me what it means and what I can do about it.

Thank you LOUCAT

2. judyv

judyv

What's your computer's Gateway serial number? Also, what BIOS are you using? Do you still have the manual for your motherboard?

I think the error's trying to tell you about your motherboard. What exactly, I'm not sure yet, but it's got to be out there. :) That's what search engines are for.
    ;)

I'll try to get back on early tomorrow, but I might not make it until very late.

Here's a couple of places I've found, but not yet sure if they're what we're looking for.
    This asks for your Gateway serial number:
    http://www.gateway.com/support/default.asp
    Here's where we need to know what your motherboard is:
    http://www.gateway.com/support/manlib/cmponts/sysboard/sysboard.shtml

Here's one place I found with IBM Post codes that describe what the numbers mean:
    http://computertech.server101.com/ibm_post_codes.htm

Hang in there! :cool:

JudyV

3. judyv

judyv

Found some other places.
    Looking at some of the explainations for the different motherboard error codes, it may not be time to replace the motherboard just yet.

This one's interesting:
    http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/ibmdiag.htm

I'll keep looking around the web.

Cheers! :cool:

JudyV

4. loucat

loucat Thread Starter

judyv thank you for giving me help at least I have a start on the fix.
    LOUCAT

5. judyv

judyv

Hi Loucat!

The more I look around, the more I can see I need to know your motherboard and BIOS. If you don't feel comfortable cracking your computer open and having problems getting the BIOS information, then I might be able to get it through your gateway serial number. Your computer should have a white sticker on it somewhere on the outside with such arcane knowledge.:D

If you want the adventure of cracking open the case, ask how to do it before spelunking.

Cheers! JudyV:cool:

6. loucat

loucat Thread Starter

judyv the mother board is 4000286-- computer is 000-886-2003

processor is pent 11 233 mgh - cpucrd016aaww

the bio , I have to open the case and see but It is not where I talk to you on the computer so it takes me a little time to find what it is, but I will for sure , I have talked to a lot of pepole about this problem and never have recieved so much help so be sure I relllllly aprecieate what you are doing. The site with the number codes was mind pressing I have never seen a copy of those numbers and I don'nt know anyone that has.

LOUCAt

7. judyv

judyv

For whatever my info, guesses, and leaps are worth, you're welcome. ;)

Okay, not quite. For example, my motherboard is an AOpen AK72. There's a company name, and the model. If you're cracking open the computer, then it should be written on the large board.

BIOS information is flashed before the RAM count. Some of the main kinds of BIOS include Award, AMI, and Phoenix. There are a bunch of version numbers for each. I have a suspicion that BIOS won't be as important. And if your computer's quitting before you can get the info...

Post error code 104 is telling us that the computer is not switching from real mode to protected mode. Protected mode is what makes it possible for the computer to perform more than one task. Protected mode is where programs start up and tell the computer that they need so much memory to work. The computer comes up with the memory from your RAM and from swap files, and tells the programs to never mind where the memory comes from, it'll be enough. Without the protected mode, most of your programs aren't going to work.

Okay, that's pretty much what the POST error's telling you. Now, what to do about it. Personally, because the motherboard's a PII 233MHz, I'd replace it. Crazily enough, Gateway has a <a href="http://www.gateway.com/support/techdocs/motherboard/30040.shtml">tutorial</a> of sorts. Since your computer is a PII, I'd pick the picture that most resembles your computer and not worry too much about part numbers. And in addition to the advice, I'd also have pen and paper ready to write down everything I do, and everything I see. Also, once the case is open, I'd touch the metal wall of the computer beofre touching anything else. All the bits and pieces I take out, I'd put on mouse pads if not in anti-static bags. The parts inside are very fragile when it comes to you zapping them with static electricity. The best thing would be to con a friend into doing it. :D And staying away while they worked.

However, the unappetizing question of whether this particular motherboard can be used again is a haunting mystery. I'll have to consult my oracles.

If anyone else wishes to join in, please, I'm not grabby. :cool:

Cheers, JudyV :cool:

8. Letterman

Letterman

I'm having a hard time understanding this thread. The initial post by Loucat requsted information about an error message "104 can you please tell me what it means and what I can do about it."

In another message Loucat indicates she has a Pentium II with 233 MhZ. There is no indication of which OS is being used or whether the computer boots past post into windows or freezes at the error message.

The rest of the posts seem dedicated to Judyv's requests and explanations for motherboard info. bios info and real and protect modes and how their associated with error 104 not allowing the computer to go into protected mode.

My understanding is the DOS operating system was not designed to take advantage of protected mode, so it always executes programs in real mode unless a protected mode extender is run first.

What exactly is happening here other than receiving an error message?

Additionally, it's not necessary to open your computer in order to obtain information about either your motherboard or BIOS info. You can obtain BIOS information from the BIOS set up screen.

9. loucat

loucat Thread Starter

the os is window 98. the system locks up on startup ,I recieve no info other than the lockup and a message saying error maessage 104 some other # 000.0???I dont remember I will surely find out. The screen askes if I would like to start in protected mode but it will not start in protected mode it repeats the message error 104. if you have any help you can offer I would apreciate it very much , if I have to replace the mother board I will do so and upgrade the whole system. I am not afraid of opening up the case as I have worked on them before but we are talking more software here than hardware even though the hardware is involved judyv has given me a lot of info that was helpful but I know I must go on from here it isn't importatant who is the most knowledgable but who can solve the problem. I thank all for the help and hope someone can come up with a salution.

LOUCAT

10. Letterman

Letterman

Thus far, everyone I've spoken to is not familiar with "error 104" and as I stated in my earlier post, I'm confused because the DOS operating system was apparently not designed to take advantage of protected mode and always executes programs in real mode.

I'm trying to understand why your computer is even offering you this option.

Maybe Judyv or someone else can clarify.

11. judyv

judyv

Hi Letterman!

As for the DOS real/protected mode, yes, I find it intriguing. I'm also interested in finding out how others interpret the 104 error. Since I've found a vacuum of answers dealing strictly with this error, I find myself trying on different possibilities. Most code lists describe 104 as "protection mode error," or " 104 POST Error - Protect Mode Failure," or something close.

The next question is how to explain this knowledge to be used to the best advantage. If others are uncertain, then how do we best logically describe what's happening?

And if no one else jumps in to the fun, all I can do is try to interpret what I see and what I find on the web and where it all intersects. As for the cause, I can be totally off base. ;) I'm more interested in learning and the progression of knowledge.

So, what do you think?

Cheers, JudyV :cool:

12. Letterman

Letterman

JudyV:

Yeah! Interesting. Sounds like you've done quite a bit of research! O.K., so you've discovered that 104 refers to protection error or post error. So I'm assuming post is not even being accomplished. Maybe we can alter boot instructions somehow.

I haven't had a chance to look into it today but I'll make some more inquiries this evening. Maybe we can solve this problem by sharing our info and working together.

I'll check here often for your posts.

Hal

13. judyv

judyv

Checking with a few of my computer buds and seeing if they have any ideas before returning with more ideas.

Loucat, just so I know for certain (and our audience of 150+ ;) )... Does your computer stop at the error, or does it move on to at least a C:\ prompt? The error sounds like it should just stop, but I want to be clear.

Cheers! JudyV:cool:

14. Letterman

Letterman

Loucat and Judyv:

So far I've been told the problem may be with the registry. Loucat, if you can get into DOS you can install a copy of a previous registry through the DOS command "scanreg/restore." No quotes

Let me know

15. ETS

ETS

Whenever I've run into a protected mode error early on in the boot process it's been a memory related problem. Sometimes it's a bad or unreliable memory module that if simply replaced fixes the problem.
    This type error can also be generated by the cpu when it tests itself during initial startup. It will test to see if it is capable of switching into protected mode and if the memory above one meg. is available.
    My guess (as a result of the error message) is that it's either the cpu or the memory that needs to be checked or replaced. But remember, it's only a guess.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice