1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message question

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by eaglejwd, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eaglejwd

eaglejwd Thread Starter

I am getting the following message when trying to install programs-
    error number
    0x80070725
    Incompatible Version of the RPC STUB

Please help if you have any idea what this means or suggestions on fixing the problem.

Thanks

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Eagle
    Welcome to TSG!
    RPC (Remote Proceedure Call) sometimes gets overwritten by some program you downloaded and any subsequent downloads\installs may be looking for a certian version and not finding it.

Follow these instructions and see if it fixes the problem.

During program setups
    Error-Incompatable rpc stub found
    It seems this problem occurs when the current version oleaut32.dll for your OS is overwritten by a newer copy or another third party version. Installshield looks to C:\Windows\System for its version and that will be the one to change.
    You will have to extract a copy of oleaut32.dll from your OS windows CD and replace the one in C:\Windows\System

Let us know how it goes.
    Dave

3. eaglejwd

eaglejwd Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Dave. I am having a hard time finding the file that is to be extracted off of the WIN 98 CD. Do you have an approximations as to where it might be located? In the mean time I will continue to search for it. Also, are there any tricky steps to replacing the file???

Thanks so much.

4. eaglejwd

eaglejwd Thread Starter

Dave, I found the file using the Find file option. Sorry about the run-around, I am not up to speed with all of my computer skills! On a similar note, in order to replace the existing file, do I delete the old one and just move the new one in its place? That seems a litle to easy, so rather than doing something I might regret, I will wait to hear back from you. Thanks a bunch for the help.

5. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey eaglejwd,

Don't delete it, you still might need it. Sounds wierd, but true. The best practice for exchanging files is to rename the file to (soandso)<B><font color="red">.OLD</font></B>. If something should happen, this way you can change it back.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Eagle
    Sorry had to watch Jurassic park III with the little guy. He wanted to see how I grew up with the Dinosaurs. Yes you should rename the oleaut32.dll to oleaut32.old and then extract to new copy.
    Sorry about the delay.
    Dave

7. eaglejwd

eaglejwd Thread Starter

Thanks for the help all. I just tried to rename the file and it would not allow me to, saying that windows was currently using the file. Any suggestions? Thanks for being so patient. Just right click and rename, right?

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Eagle
    Forgot windows will think it is using the file at that time. Try using the SFC extract from the start\run SFC and specify which file from cd you wish to extract.
    Dave

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!