Error message reads: Network polocies prevent......

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lt1

:)Trying to update windows xp but keep getting error message that reads...."Error. Network policy settings prevent you from using Windows Update to download an install updates." What should i do?:)

Do you have administrative rights?

If you go into Control Panel > Users. Under your description are you an Administrator?

Sorry, I'm logged into Ubuntu at the moment so I can't give you a walk-through on how to get to the Users section of Control Panel... but you sound like a clever guy. :)

Download and run this script:

Enable Network Policy For WU

But you are probably infected. Run your scans.

Free anti-malware:

All-Seeing Eye (Monitors system)
Dr. Web Cure-It
Comodo Anti-Malware
MalwareBytes trial
A-Squared
PrevX CSI Free Version
Spybot S&D
RunScanner
Ad-Aware 2007
SuperAntiSpyware
Spyware Eliminator
Emco Malware Destroyer
Spyware Doctor
Arovax Anti-spyware
Trend-Micro Rootkit Buster
F-Secure Blacklight
Bootzilla (Bootable anti-malware CD with many other tools.)

"Instant" Anti-virus (Download and run the scanner):

Dr. Web Cure-It
McAfee Stinger
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (This one installs but offers to uninstall after the scan. A fresh download contains the most recent virus definitions.)

List of freeware security software
Guide to Free Security Software (ScanComplete Site)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online