1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message "USER.EXE" in IE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by catsus2, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catsus2

catsus2 Thread Starter

Lately in IE, I am receiving the follow message, "Explorer has caused an error in USER.EXE. Explorer will now close. If you are still experiencing problems, restart the computer". After closing, two of my startup icons are missing (Adaptec Direct CD and APC Backup). I then have to reboot.
    I am running Windows ME.
    This has been occurring quite frequently and is very frustrating to be shut down when in the middle of something. Can you please offer a solution? Any assistance will be appreciated.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. You might check your ram chip(s) to be sure they are secure in their slot(s).

3. catsus2

catsus2 Thread Starter

Thank you for the information on checking ram chips. Can you please tell me how to do this?

4. ~Candy~

First off, is the system still under warranty?

If so, you may not want to open the case.

5. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Why, it is legit to open the case under warranty.

6. ~Candy~

Sometimes that will void a warranty as you can break things yourself once inside.

7. catsus2

catsus2 Thread Starter

Yes, my pc is still under extended warranty. If so....I should not pursue checking my ram chips?

8. KLT

KLT

Hi catsus2

Are you using Norton Anti-Virus ? If so try this.
    Go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, choose the 'NavHelper' and click 'Remove'. Restart the computer

9. catsus2

catsus2 Thread Starter

Yes I am using NAV 2000 on my pc but have no "NavHelper" listed in my add/remove programs to remove.
    The motherboard was damaged a couple of months ago as a result of lightening and had to be replaced. This was done by a trained technician under my warranty. Could my error problem be a result of this replacement?

10. ~Candy~

You might check to see what the warranty says. I see your status is Beginner, so having you inside the system may not be a good idea.

Also, I see the part about the motherboard......certainly other things could have been affected as well.

11. KLT

KLT

catsus2
    I totally agree with AcaCandy, I would advise you to take the computer back to the tech that replaced the mainboard. Also find out if the RAM was replaced, if not that should be checked out.
    Good luck.

12. catsus2

catsus2 Thread Starter

Thanks. I will check back with the technician.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice