1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error message when installing daily updates to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by airforceone, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airforceone

airforceone Thread Starter

The last 2 or 3 times I've tried to install daily updates to my system, which runs Windows XP Pro, I have been receiving the following error message,

error creating process <c:\docume~1\DAD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dahotfix.exe /q/n>. Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.

and then the update install is aborted.

Before I did a system restore to see if I could fix this, I figured I'd give it a shot here to see if anyone else has ever had a problem like this.

Thanks a ton for any suggestions.

v/r

2. zephyr

zephyr

Are these updates coming directly from http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp ?

I can't imagine why the folder names with embedded spaces have been truncated in the error message. I'm sure that's a clue to the problem but I'm at a loss to explain it.

Try downloading the updates from the Windows Update Catalog site and see if the install better from a local folder. :confused:

>>Try dumping any files you find in the Temp folder they are addressing. There could be some corruption in there.

3. airforceone

I have my system set up to automatically download updates on a daily basis. All I do is click on the icon when I'm ready to install them and click "ok".

I'll try your suggestions tho not sure how to "dump" files in the Temp folder. Can I just delete the files there?

AF1

4. zephyr

zephyr

Yes, anything in there is trash at this point. It should be totally empty. Send them to the Recycle Bin to hedge if you like.

5. airforceone

I searched but it appears the temp directory in that string, (c:\docume~1\DAD~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dahotfix.exe /q/n) is missing. Not sure how I could have deleted it but I can't find it.

Could THAT be the problem?

If so, then I guess I will have to do a Sys Restore.

6. zephyr

zephyr

Just go down that path to the Local Settings folder and open it. Then right-click the right hand panel of the screen and select New > Folder. Name it Temp and you're all set again.

7. airforceone

After double checking, I found there isn't even a LocalSettings folder either. There is a Local folder under the following locations however:

c:\Documents and Settings\#1 Dad\Favorites\Local
    c:\Documents and Settings\#1 Dad\Application Data\Local
    and
    c:\Documents and Settings\#1 Dad\Application Data\Local Folders

but no mention of Local Settings at all under
    c:\Documents and Settings\#1 Dad\

AF1

8. zephyr

zephyr

My path shows C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp

It sounds like you user file is corrupt. Try creating a new user with full administrative rights and that may get you back in action. If so, you can copy the old id info into your new id and not have to recreate so many things.

9. airforceone

that's the apparent problem then. there are five users on my machine (me, the wife, and my 3 kiddies) and none of them have the "Local Settings" subfolder under Documents and Settings.

Some how I must have recently deleted these. I'm running a virus scan now and will then run Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster to see if I find anything. If this all turns up negative, then I'll do a System Restore.

Thanks zephyr.

AF1

10. zephyr

zephyr

11. airforceone

Virus scan complete (Norton 2003). Two viruses found:

1. dummy.class trojan.byteverify
    2. verifybug.class trojan.byteverify

both were deleted by Norton

Ad-Aware came up clean.

Spybot came up clean.

System Restore is inevitable?

12. zephyr

zephyr

You must be certain that the System Volume Information folder is virus free of course. If you select a date before the problem you should be ok but I'd recommend another virus scan with a different product just for safety sake.

Housecall is on my signature below and I think it's pretty reliable. Panda is another.

Good luck.

13. airforceone

Good suggestion. I did a trendmicro scan and then panda.

TrendMicro
    HouseCall has found and cleared a malware.PE_PARITE.A

Panda found 4 that TrendMicro missed:
    Exploit/ByteVerify
    Exploit/ByteVerify
    Exploit/ByteVerify
    Exploit/ByteVerify

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/195712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice