1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message when open or download mpg file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mooodyman, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooodyman

mooodyman Thread Starter

XP Home SP2 (in this case the problem persists in both Firefox and IE6)

PROBLEM:

Error message when opening or downloading mpg file

all of a sudden I am getting an error message when ever I try to open and mpg. The message reads:

There is no disk in drive. Please insert a disk into drive.

once this error message is open I can't close it. I have thru trial and error discovered clicking on the CANCEL or CONTINUE option button from 8 to 15 times will open the mpg in Media Player. The RETRY and RED X do nothing.

Any ideas?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I take it this problem is only happening with mpg or mpeg files?

Do you get an option to specifiy a download directory when you try to download it? It sounds like it is trying to download to a floppy or CD drive.

In Windows Explorer open Tools > Folder Options > File Types.

Scroll down and select "mpg" then select the "advanced" tab.

Make sure there is a check in "confirm open after download". If you weren't getting a window to specify the download directory, this should enable it.

Do the same for "mpeg" if you are having problems with that as well.

You can also try right clicking on a file and selecting "save target as" to specify a location to download to.

3. mooodyman

mooodyman Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,

Thanks for the quick response.

I just had the same problem downloading an .exe (Mozilla Thunderbird to be specific). After hammering away at the CANCEL button the download took.

When you suggest going to Windows Explorer open Tools > Folder Options > File Types, are you talking IE? 'cause if you are I didn't see Folder Options under Tools.

Thx

4. mooodyman

mooodyman Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,

Sorry, I guess I am tired, I now know you were talking about Windows Explorer and I went in and all references to mpeg I checked off "confirm open after download" (some already were checked)

Then went back to same .mpg files I've already experienced the problem with, and it persists!

Hmmmmm?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

On the page below you will find some "file association" registry patches.

Follow the instructions for installing the patches for all file types you are having problems with:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Also do let me know if you are getting the opportunity to specify a download directory before this message appears. And if using the method of right click > save target as, makes any difference in the behavior.

If the problem cannot be resolved readily and has not existed for too long, you might want to consider a System Restore as a possible resolution. System Restores can be "undone" if not helpful.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/388392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice