1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message when trying to install/remove font

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SerafinsGirl, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SerafinsGirl

SerafinsGirl Thread Starter

Hi everyone..I sure hope someone here can help with this!

I noticed recently that a couple of my fonts are not working. They do not show up on my Photoshop list..but I can see them in the Windows font folder. I have tried to delete them in order to reinstall them, but I get an error message that the source file cannot be found. I did a search to find the source file and nothing came up.

It's not allowing me to remove the "husk" of the file that is left, and it is not allowing me to either delete/reinstall a new copy of them.

So I am in this weird catch-22 situation where I cannot use the font, and I cannot remove the font. I do not know what prompted this sudden change..as these fonts have been working fine for years.

This is a Windows PC, and the fonts are a .ttf format.

Help! :(

Thank you
    Cynthia

2. kshitijdivakar

kshitijdivakar

Analysis : First open a word processor like MS Word and look " Is Fonts are listed there"

If yes then :

Install first ATM : Or Adobe type manager then the Font will work in the Adobe Photoshop"

If No then :

Select the Font you want to delete and then right click on it and Uncheck "Read Only" below in the properties dialog box and then ok. and delete it.

3. jparr111

jparr111

Cynthia...
    When thing suddenly stop working right, I think MALWARE. Do you use protection?
    Post what protections you use (virus and spy) and what version of Windows.
    This will help the experts here help you. I'm not one of them. Good luck.

4. SerafinsGirl

kshitijdivakar,

It doesnt show up in Word, either.

I don't have a "read only" option when I right click the font (in the Windows font folder). And it doesn't allow me to do anything, it keeps saying the file cannot be found, even though I am looking at the .ttf font sitting in the folder..it's like this "ghost file" or something that cannot be removed.

As far as MalWare, I am using Corporate Symantic Anti Virus and do not run the computer in Administrator mode, so programs cannot automatically download into my computer without my permission.

How does one remove a font which "doesnt exist" but you can still see as an installed font in the Windows font folder?

Thanks

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You could try a couple of things:
    1. Try deleting the font from Control Panel > Fonts IF the font appears there
    2. Try the delete in safe mode
    3. Try reinstalling the font

6. SerafinsGirl

Hi Phil...

I don't know how to access the font file thru Control Panel.

How do you do this? Thanx.

7. WhitPhil

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Fonts then Delete

Did you try in Safe Mode?

8. SerafinsGirl

Hi Phil..

I do not have any fonts access from the Control Panel. Where would the fonts be? In one of the folders?

I have not tried safe mode, no. I don't know how, and I do not know how to "unsafe" myself.

Thanks

9. techy689

techy689

go to start > control panel > appearance and themes > in the right pane it will say fonts, select that > search for the fonts and delete or paste new ones.

10. SerafinsGirl

s4baz...

Ah! OK, I found the font folder, went to delete the font I want to get rid of and then reinstall, and I get the same error message..that it cannot delete the font because it cannot read it from the source file.

Arrgh!!! :mad:

11. bbearren

bbearren

12. techy689

techy689

try doing this... BUT you have to have a cd of the operating system with you. what it does is it helps your computer repair any missing files that windows should have.

go to start > run > type in 'cmd' > then a black box will appear and type in 'sfc /scannow' if it asks you to insert your cd insert it.

13. WhitPhil

Here is how to get to Safe mode.

Attempt the delete from there.

14. SerafinsGirl

Thanks for all your help..I do not feel comfortable trying a reinstall of Windows by myself..I have no experience with that and I would not be happy if I ran into a problem!!!

I guess I will have to forgo using those fonts..

Thank you anyway!

15. WhitPhil

Try booting to safe mode.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!