Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error message when trying to open an Excel file

Solved 
1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dougglos 
#1 ·
I have been using Excel (via MS Office Professional Edition 2003) for several years now, and in particular I keep a spreadsheet on which I list about seventy names and addresses of people that I send Christmas cards to. Just recently, when I wanted to add a couple of names/addresses to that list, out of the blue I got the following message "Office validation detected a problem while trying to open this file. Opening it may be dangerous" ! How my list of friends' Christmas card details can be dangerous I don't know, but any help to rid myself of this problem would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
Sorry - you've lost me !! When I click on "save as" it only allows me to save it in the current program, in Excel 2003. How can I "take it to Excel 2003", and "work out of the new one"! Your guidance would be appreciated, as I am not too experienced. Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
In the 'save as' dialog on your PC (which I can't see) under the file name there is also a 'Save as type'. change that type to the latest available.

If its already that. Try saving it as a (CSV, comma delimited) then reopen with excel. and save again as another name.

This verison of Office is (of course) no longer supported buy MS but they did address the problem with KB833041 . EDIT Not correct Read this one KB2501584 This explains what is going on (basically a harmless nag). The fix is a register hack which I don't recommend unless your experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.