Error Message: Windows could not start because...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angelic_joy

I just fired up my computer (Dell Dimension 4400 - WinXP Home) and got a black screen saying:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll

Please reinstall a copy of the above file."

I immediately whipped out my stack of CDs that came with my Dell (Windows was pre-loaded, serial # on a silver holographic-look sticker on side of computer), only to discover they didn't include the actual operating CD. The CDs I have are:

1. Drivers and Utilities - Dell Dimension resource CD for Reinstalling Device Drivers and Using Diagnostics, Utilities, and Online Documentation.

2.Applications - Dell Tools CD for Reinstalling Dell-Installed Software (Antivirus software, Support software, Multimedia software, Internet software).

3. Drivers and Utilites - For Reinstalling Conexant 56K Data/Fax Modem Software for Microsoft Windows.

4. Application - For Installing/Reinstalling Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.1 Basic.

Will any of these (obviously not the last two) contain the missing dll? How do I go about replacing this? I emailed Dell customer support and was basically told I was out of luck in obtaining the operating system from them...even tho I paid for it and never received it. As luck would have it, my warranty is up. Help! :(

Thanks!
-- Joy

hi i have the EXACT same problem with my dell computer. can u tell me which disk works ive tryd every single disk and nothing happens! do i need to type in some kind of command or something?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online