1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll on my Acer AS3004WLCi

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wmwong5877, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wmwong5877

wmwong5877 Thread Starter

I tried to do COMPLETE Windows XP (Home) reinstall and at first it went ok (I think), but while restarting it gave me this error message:
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll

My computer info are as follows:
    Acer AS3004WLCi
    Windows XP Home

I can understand basic step-by-step instruction so I'd appreciate any help I can get regarding this problem.

Thank you in advance!

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

It seems that the permissions for this file are not set right when you install Windows. here are the instructions to reset it.

1) Reinstall Windows (or do a repair install) to the point where you are at the desktop.
    2) Open My Computer. Open Local Disk C:
    3) Go to the "Windows" folder.
    4) Open "system32" folder.
    5) Find "hal.dll" and right-click on it.
    6) If the "Read Only" box is ticked, untick it. (If it is ticked, skip this step)
    7) Tick the "Read Only" box, click Apply, then OK.
    8) Restart Windows.

Now when you restart, it should still be there. If not, I'd say there was a problem with your hard drive. It's unlikely, but possible.

Hope this helps.

3. wmwong5877

Thanks for your quick suggestion to my problem. I'd love to try that, but my problem is that the Windows itself cannot finish loading (so I don't see my desktop at all).

All I see is the black screen and the error message.

But I can click f2 though and change the boot drive to CD instead of hard drive. I did try a couple of times doing the restore CD option by booting from CD instead of hard drive. It would only read the 1st CD (there are 4) and would say restoring is finish then it would reload the Windows, but then the error message will come up just as the screen turn black (do I make sense?)

Please let me know if you need more info. And thanks :)

4. wmwong5877

Hi. Once again thanks for trying to help me. Acer replied to me and it solved my problem. Here's the actual reply:
    If Windows Will Not Start

Shut down the system. Press the power button to turn the system on, as soon as you release the power button, press ALT on the keyboard and start tapping F10. The ALT key is located to the left of the space bar and the F10 key is along the top of the keyboard. Continue holding ALT and tapping F10 as the unit boots up. It should show a screen stating "Starting Acer eRecovery", when this screen comes up you can release the keys on the keyboard. Follow the onscreen prompts. The default password will be 000000. Next you will need to choose "recovery actions", then on the next screen choose "restore factory default settings". This will erase your hard drive and reinstall the original factory settings and programs.

However, I have another question. My keyboard seemed stuck can't type anything at all!

Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice