1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by greeneyes, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. greeneyes

greeneyes Thread Starter

Does anyone understand this following error message. I get this message each time I log on or re-boot.
    1st pop-up
    RUNDLL
    Error loading powrprof.dll
    A device attached to the system is not functioning
    2nd pop-up
    Error starting program
    The SetupAPI.DLL file is linked to missing
    export CFGMGR32.DLL:CM_Get_Log_confPriority

Do I need to get this back somewhere or re-download something?

Also my IM's (AOL) seems to send messages, but I cannot receive any. :confused:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG, greeneyes.

Both errors would seem to be the result of version mismatches, possibly caused by the installation of some new program which replaced system files.

When did this begin, and have you installed or uninstalled anything new recently?

We would also be helped by a look at you current system configuration. If you can, download, unzip and run the StartupList application from the site below. Then copy/paste the results to a reply.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

3. greeneyes

greeneyes Thread Starter

This started yesterday (1/13/03) and no I have not installed or re-installed anything in the past 10 days. I am always un-installing and re-installing my Trident...Video display adapter. I seem to loose this one a lot.

I must some kind of mess here, because when I went to the link and clicked on the start-up list....when it finished it took me to the windows media player....with yet another error message of;

Windows Media Player Error
    Cannot playback the file
    The format is not supported

I downloaded to the current location too.

Thank you for your quick response also

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Not sure what you mean by "downloaded to current location". Did you click the "save" tab and specify a particular download location, such as the desktop? If you don't get that option, also try right clicking in the link and choosing "save target as".

This is a zipped file, so you will need an unzipping program like Winzip to open it. If you don't have one and there is no file association for .zip extensions that might cause the problem.

What windows version do you have? If Win98 or WinME and nothing has been installed or uninstalled in the last few days, it's possible a registry restore might fix things, but I really think there is a file version problem here, I just don't know how it could happen without installing something.

If you have Win98, try this: go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

select a started registry prior to the problem from one of the first 4 displayed. Do not select the last or oldest, it does not restore.

If you have WinME, you have two options, one is doing a System Restore, and the other is scanreg /restore. In WinME to do this, you go to Start>Run and enter: scanreg /restore

you must be prepared to reboot when you do this.

5. KARENEFS

KARENEFS

I'm having the same problem with an old windows ME computer. I get th is and winspool.drv missing. I've tried to extract it, but can't find it. scanreg / restore doesn't work, either. Even if I go back to 95. Any suggestions?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice