1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

Im running a win95, IBM Aptiva with a few problems. I'm, at the moment, trying to paste a file name, etc into Run, so that I can Uninstall what Add/Remove won't let me Uninstall. But I'm getting this message:

Cannot find the file 'HKEY" (or one of its components) Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.

I'm sure I have the filename and path correct, but I don't know about "all required libraries" being "available". How can I make them available? Any info will be well appreciated. Thanks,

Xico :D

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Probably due to your housekeeping in the registry ;)

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Candy!

I'm proving I'm super timid. I didn't do any housecleaning yet. I'm still in the process of setting up, checking things out, but in the end, not acting. I got Smart Uninstaller, but didn't do the final click. If it weren't for that incredible screensaver I would have reformatted long ago. I don't even have sound on the IBM yet, but just seeing Scrappy bark at the moon, roll over, stand up and bark, etc prevents me from pulling the plug on him. PF Magic puts it out, but it's a kind of game, so I don't know if it has the screen saver. My house cleaning! LOL

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Boy, I want a copy of that screen saver :D :D It MUST be incredible :D

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

If you like dogs at all, you'd love it. But if I praise it too much, when you saw it, you're liable to say, "Ahhh, you shold have formatted." LOL:D

6. panzer999

panzer999

HEKY isn't a valid path.

You need HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER ect...

But I doubt what you are trying to do is going to work.

LEAVE THE REGISTRY ALONE!!! :D :D

7. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi Panzer!

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread," so said platform runt Alexander Pope while he was looking at the registry in his 1735 Win34.
    :D :D

That must have been a typo, cos the one I'm pasting in RUN is HKEY_ etc.

I havn't really touched the registry . . .much cos I can't get the backup to work. It keeps asking for a tape and I don't have a CD Burner for this old IBM Aptiva. But I have to say that I'm learning an awful lot from all sorts of unexpected angles. I got this one out of a thrift shop for ten bucks. I have another one, a Packard Bell, but the HDD went bad. I got that one for 5. These are gigantic learning experiences, cos I can go into things like the registry that I would never do with my 98 . . . until I've learned enuf.

Xico :D :D

8. panzer999

panzer999

Run REGEDIT, click REGISTRY, then 'Export Registry'! Save it where you'll remember (25 copies to floppy). At least if you screw it up, you'll have a back-up you can import from DOS or Desktop ;)

9. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you, Panzer! That's what I need to know! (Lilly, my white Boxer with brindle patches around her eyes, says to say hello to Panzer; and Fritz, my Dalmatian, sends his regards. Both are intact.)

Xico :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice