1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message

Discussion in 'Games' started by guitarist968, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guitarist968

guitarist968 Thread Starter

Hi.

I have Counter-Strike 1.5 and the Steam 1.6 version. 1.6 works fine. 1.5 does not.

Whenever I go to join a 1.5 game, I get to choose CT or T and then my character. But then it send me to the console and says "Host_Error: Dispatch UserMsg: Illegal UserMsg 255".

What do i do?

Please help so I can play CS tonight.

2. vesselle

vesselle

you may not be able to. :(
    they are ending the Beta tonite and the servers are down. they are also trying to coordinate the Steam system so that games/steam will be compatible. there's no info that i can find that says how long this will take.
    might check in the morning to see what's what.

V***V

3. guitarist968

actually thats not true, i just tried to play cs and i got on a server! i am able to connect! a simple restart cured my problem...

4. McTimson

McTimson

Vesselle, the beta has been done since the 9th...Steam and 1.6 are now the official versions of CS, and WON will be over soon.

5. guitarist968

so does that mean soon there will be no more 1.5?

6. McTimson

McTimson

That's correct...I've heard rumors of people getting 1.5 to work with Steam by having Steam treat it as a third-party mod, but I have no idea if it works. But yes, the function of Steam is to replace WON, and once they get it working as they intended, WON will no longer exist.

However, you will be able to play LAN games with 1.5, as they don't require you to connect to the internet...I think.

7. guitarist968

thats cool.

i got a home LAN and my friends always come over to play CS. It would suck if we had to play 1.6 all the time. 1.5 is still pretty awesome.

8. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

nooo 1.6 goes so slow i hope they change there minds and make it so that you can still play 1.5 on wON and 1.6 on steam

9. McTimson

McTimson

No, the whole point of Steam is to remove the WON system. If they keep it, then they need WON identification servers running, as well as Steam identification servers. It's much easier to just have one set running, and WON interfere's with Valve's plans for global domination anyway, so...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice