1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ConnieVee, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ConnieVee

ConnieVee Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new here, so hope I don't mess this up.... My computer is a Compaq 2000 ME. I installed the Virus Hunter Scan yesterday. It showed I had 25 viruses (which I aquired the day before through pop ups & suddenly 3 things were downloaded onto my computer) mostly in restore archives, and it wasn't able to remove those. I followed directions on 'how to remove a virus in restore', that are on the Virus Hunter website. Now I get an error: Bdss has caused an error in LIBFN.DLL- try restarting. This happens when a high number of files have already been scanned, and it is reaching the restore files.
    At this point the virus scan freezes up, but nothing else on the computer does. And no infected files have appeared yet, but I can't get a full scan to see if there are any. I must restart the computer to get the virus scan page off the screen.

I'm about to lose my mind! And I'm dreading a complete restore. Can anyone offer some advice? Thank you much!

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

Do you have Kazaa on your machine? According to a quick google search LIBFN.DLL is a kazaa related file. Kazaa is loaded with spyware and does not like it if the spyware is removed. If you paid for this virus scanner go to their website and ask for help, it's your right. If you downloaded the trial version, uninstall it and try another virus software, like avg antivirus(free if you don't live in europe) and scan again to make sure it just wasn't a problem with your copy of virus hunter. If the freezing occurs again with another virus scanner at the same point in the scan, then you have a problem that can only be corrected with a large hammer. Just kidding, but you'll probably have to reformat and reinstall if the second scanner freezes up as well.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

4. ConnieVee

ConnieVee Thread Starter

Thank you, telecom69, for the advice. I printed the instructions to the System Restore, then did it, but the same thing happened. The virus scanning page froze when it scanned 141778 files, 2139 folders. So I did it another time & the same thing happened again. The file it is stopping on is
    D:\CPQDRV|211888\B2A\008\211888.ZIP=>APP\.ZIP INSTALL\99999983bto, if this is any help to you. To this point it showed no viruses, but I don't know beyond this. Or where to go from here!

Can you tell me if I can infect others through my e-mail, using my messengers, or if I go into my yahoo groups, can I infect them? This is driving me crazy! I love doing things on the computer and since this happened I haven't been.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

5. telecom69

Ok we will get there in the end,do this next,go here and download and run the online scanner http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ we will see how that deals with it,and by the way you CAN infect others through your Email

6. telecom69

Further to my post above,when you disabled system restore it should have deleted everything in your system restore so the ones in there should be gone now but leave it disabled till we have finished when you have time go here http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ and download the free AVG anti-virus it is well known and respected everywhere,use that as your anti-virus from now on,it scans your emails too so you will be safe with that,when you get it click on the updates to get it up to scratch then run that also....see how you get on and let me know ......

7. ConnieVee

ConnieVee Thread Starter

Ok, I just scanned with House Call. This was the one that first told me I had these tons of virsuses. It removed some a few days ago, but said it wasn't able to remove those in restore. This time it said I have NONE! But it scanned 35,690 files, next to the 141778, that the Virus Hunter scan (that I installed a few days ago) is showing, up to the point where it's freezing up. So can I believe I'm clean now?

Another thing, I lost my windows media player when all those pop ups attacked the computer & 3 things downloaded themselves onto it. (I hope I did uninstall them all) Can you tell me how can I download another windows media player? Thank you so much for your help.

8. telecom69

Hi Connie yes you can take it you have none because disabling System Restore did the trick now dont forget to enable it again ......regarding Windows media player you can get it here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx or you can get an earlier version of it from here that a lot of people swear by saying its a lot more stable than the current one http://www.download.com/3000-2139-5948260.html?tag=lst-0-1
    I dont know if you have ad-aware or not but if not I would urge you to get it and run it every day to help keep your computer clean,you can get ad-aware here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html when you have downloaded it click on updates before running and always get rid of everything that it finds .......

The other half of the deadly duo is Spybot which you can get here http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10122137.html same thing update it before running then get rid of everything that it finds that has RED ticks by them,run this two or three times a week,but dont forget to update before running every time,you wont get that many from Spybot but ad-aware is very good and updates very regularly,so there you go Connie this will keep you busy for a time let me know how you get on......take care

If you just feel you want reassuring that you have No viruses just download and run that AVG anti virus I gave you the address of earlier

9. ConnieVee

ConnieVee Thread Starter

Thank you so much, telecom69. I do have Ad-ware, but not the spy one. What does that do? I will get to the windows media tomorrow/today. It's 4:30 a.m. and I haven't been to bed yet. A bad habit of mine! Take care.

10. telecom69

Hi Connie,never neglect your beauty sleep, :D I thought you were up late its just striking 11am here in the UK .....Anyway about spybot its similar in many ways to ad-aware but it finds different things,no one spyware programme can find everything as you probably know,its no problem to download and you really do need to have it to run in tandem with your ad-aware, sleep well and have a good day.... :)

11. ConnieVee

ConnieVee Thread Starter

Another day, but this computer just gets worse. I'm as far as having downloaded the free AVG Anti-Virus Scan, running a virus scan on it & it found another infection, in restore again, and it can't be removed. So I'm back to square one, doing the System Restore again. I now have this virus scannner & the one I purchased a few days ago, Virus Hunter, on line for $35.00. Is it ok to have BOTH running?..... The AVG said a folder is missing when I tried updating it, but it looked like it did it when i tried again later. And I keep getting dumb errors when I restart, all different. I'm so confused & disgusted! Why do I keep getting these infections in Restore? Or have they not all been removed when I did the restore system earlier?

12. ConnieVee

ConnieVee Thread Starter

I downloaded the spy bot thing & I don't understand that at all! I ran it and saw some bad things on there, a sex list (???) or something to that effect, double click, and I don't know what all, but it was a lengthly list, and I don't know if some of that stuff is good or bad to remove. There was update folders & so on. I don't know if I should fool with this, I may mess this thing up worse than it already is. I tried reading about it, but that was no help, either

13. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

A sex list? The past is coming back to haunt you Connie. Adware/spyware is something we all hate, mostly because alot of these programs are simply designed poorly and can cause problems just as a result of that fact alone. In addition, they hide on your machine to serve what purpose? Who knows, maybe to send data back to the head office regarding your surfing habits so the head office can then flood your email with advertisements based on your particular interests. It's an invasion of privacy that I personally abhor. But, if you downloaded/installed a program it may be dependent on the spyware it came bundled with to operate correctly. So, you are correct to fear you may mess things up worse, to use your words.The key is to refuse to install anything that comes with Bonzi buddy or Gator my search bar or whatever. I have used spybot search and destroy and lavasofts' adware and both are programs that do their jobs well. In other words they won't detect kernel32.dll as being spyware. So you can trust them to get rid of spyware, but the question is what programs, toolbars, IE buttons,etc., do you have that you don't wanna lose but are detected as spyware.
    But again, it won't show you windows system files as being spyware if that's what you are worried about.

14. ConnieVee

ConnieVee Thread Starter

Well, I got brave & went back and read more on the Spye Bot one. Even brave enough to let it remove the bad guys. And so far the computer's still working!!!!

15. telecom69

Hi Connie Icant understand how you got another infection in System Restore if you had it disabled,thats supposing you did,you didnt by any chance enable it again did you? its best left disabled till we have finished.....

Spybot when you click to update it there may be a list appear,so you put a tick by all those then click update and it will download them .....
    then when you click find problems ,there will be another list appear at the top there may be some items clicked in RED those are the ones that will be removed when you click fix problems,any others are left to your discretion,dont remove them unless you are sure,they are just suspect .......

At the moment just run spybot again and tick fix problems you dont need to do any thing else at the moment it will remove the ones ticked in red .......

Regarding having two running not really a good idea,they may conflict,you can decide later which one you will keep permanently,dont get frustrated about these things sometimes they do take a bit of time to clear up your not far away ......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice