1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error message

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sammyc, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sammyc

sammyc Thread Starter

hi there

i keep getting the following error message

stimon

this programme has commited an illegal operation and will be shut down

if the problem persists contact the programme vendor

i have tried removing all downloaded games and i have deleted all cookies and temp folders

i use windows xp

what can i do - it causes my computer to crash and freeze and then all i can do is shut it down by turning it off at the wall which i know is bad for the computer - please help me :eek:

2. lizard

lizard

Hi sammyc!
    Welcome to TSG Forums :)

This is Stimon.exe...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;257815
    Description of Still Image Monitor (Stimon.exe)

SUMMARY
    Still Image Monitor (Stimon.exe) is a tool that is installed by Windows Millennium Edition (Me) and Windows 98 when a Universal Serial Bus (USB) scanning device is successfully enumerated. Stimon.exe is configured to start automatically during the Windows startup process, and is loaded from the following registry key:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run

MORE INFORMATION
    Stimon.exe enables a USB still-image device (such as a scanner) to initiate data transfer to a program. This is called "push model" behavior. For example, if your scanning device has a Scan button, it may start a program and begin scanning when you press it.

Stimon contains two modules: Event Monitor and Control Center.
    Event Monitor detects events from connected USB scanning devices.
    Control Center determines how to react to these incoming events.

-----------

It is only used for initiating the scanning process for the "one touch" scanning button on your scanner.
    It isn't really needed, unless you do a heavy amount of scanning.

If you want to remove it from your start-up...

Click Start>Run.
    type "msconfig" (without quotes).
    Click OK.
    Click the Startup Tab.
    Scroll down the list and remove the check-mark from Stimon.
    Click OK.
    Restart.

If you want to replace the Stimon.exe file...

Step 1: Rename the Stimon.exe File

1- Unplug all USB devices.
    2- Insert a Windows Millennium Edition (Me) or Windows 98 Startup disk into your computer, and then start the computer to a command prompt.
    3- At the command prompt, type C:, and then press ENTER.
    4- Type CD\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
    5- Type Rename Stimon.exe Stimon.old, and then press ENTER.
    6- Remove the Windows Startup disk.

Step 2: Start Windows in Safe Mode and Remove the Registry Entry

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1- Restart the computer. When the Power On Self Test (POST) is completed, press and hold down the CTRL key.
    The Windows 98 or Windows Me Startup menu appears.
    2- Use the ARROW keys to select Safe mode, and then press ENTER.
    3- In Windows Me, close the Help and Support window. In Windows 98, click OK on the Safe Mode message that appears.
    4- Click Start, and then click Run.
    5- In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    6-In Registry Editor, expand the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If StillImageMonitor does not appear in the Name list in the right pane of the Registry Editor window, expand the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

7- On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
    8- In the Export Registry File dialog box, type Run Key in the File name box, and then click Save.
    The selected key is saved.
    9- In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click StillImageMonitor, and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears.
    10- On the Confirm Value Delete message that appears, click Yes.
    11- Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer normally.

Step 3: Reinstall the Imaging Device

Follow the manufacturer's instructions to reinstall the USB imaging device. This replaces the registry entries and reinstalls the Still Image Monitor files.

That should do it!! Good Luck!
    Let us know how it went...

_

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. sammyc

sammyc Thread Starter

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou - that error message has been causing us sooooooooooo many porblems - you see half of the time when it came up it would freeze the computer. i cant tell you how grateful i am for your help.
    i will deffinately be making a donation and will be telling all my friends about this site.

i just followed your instructions to uncheck the stimon box and hey presto it worked... the following bit about getting it back looked very confusing i read through it and got a brain freeze - but i will print it out just in case i ever need it.

i have asked umpteen people who "know almost all there is to know about computers" and not one of them knew anything about it. Anyway i don't imagine you have time to be reading my blurb - so Thanks again and u can count on my donation.

cont'd......
    :confused:
    i'd shut the computer down and when i came back and started it up again i now have a different message...

Backweb 8876480

This programme has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

If the problem persists, contact the programme vendor.

i'm so sad now :( , i thought it was all fixed.

please share a little more of your expertise. :D

5. lizard

lizard

Hey sammyc! I'm glad that's gone! (y)

Backweb 8876480.exe is part of Logitech Desktop Messenger.

You may remove it from your start-up process as above....

It can be then be run by the Start>Programs menu.

If you do not use the Logitech Messenger service, it can be removed through Add/Remove Programs.

I recommend you download and run the following programs (both very highy recommended freeware, no nasties attached) to help keep your system clean.

'AdAware se' http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

'Spybot Search & Destroy' http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

_

6. sammyc

sammyc Thread Starter

hi - thanks again - i've down loaded the spy bot and ad-aware - all though i think i already had that one.
    the backweb message has gone now .........

now i keep getting the same message but now it says Iexplore at the top...
    this doesnt appear when i'm starting up but just appears at random - more often than not - when i'm trying to shut down.

where do they all keep coming from and how can i stop them all - it seems that every time i get rid of one another appears, please advise

thanks in advance - again

7. lizard

lizard

Hi! Not bad...That's two down and one to go! hopefully... (y)
    Sometimes when they start acting a bit buggy they just don't want to let go..

Try this fix for Internet Explorer.
    (It is supposed to also repair the 'Windows' interface of Explorer, if that part needs fixing)

Click Start>Settings>Control Panel.
    Double left-click 'Add/Remove Programs'.
    Click the 'Install/Uninstall' Tab.
    Scroll down until you see 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools' (your version of it).
    Select it.
    Click 'Add/Remove'.
    Select 'Repair Internet Explorer'.
    Click 'OK'.

That should do it for that one!

_

8. sammyc

sammyc Thread Starter

thanks again - i've done that and only found one problem, after i clicked the repair bit it told me i would have to re-start for the process to be complete - so i clicked "re-start computer now"

first i got that message that comes up saying...

"the programme is not responding it may be busy....."
    which then gives you the option to eiher wait, end task or cancel.

i clicked end task and got a bright blue screen which read...

WINDOWS

A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C02A37A8 in VXD VWIN32(0S)
    + 000012D0. The current application will be terminated.

*press any key to terminate the current application.
    *press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all applications.

Press Any Key To Continue.....

So I thought i don't want to lose the repair i have just done so i pressed CTRL... and nothing.... i pressed CTRL... again and this time it re-started.

What was that message all about? i have had it before and its crashed my computer leaving me with no other option (that i know of) but to switch the computer off at the power supply instead of via the start menu.

anyway thats just a bit of extra info i just wondered about in case it comes up again... just recently its been coming up every time i try to shut my system down...

also one extra question (but you won't mind this one i dont think)
    i told my mum about you and logged onto her computer to show her how good you are - i signed in with my user id and password, when i tried to register her in her own name it said i'm all ready registered...???

ps we both think you're the best thing since sliced bread.

9. lizard

lizard

Hi sammyc!

The best solutiuons I can find for the problem at start-up are these...

Update your video card driver.
    If that doesn't get rid of the error, It might have something to do with a USB Camera...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=278033
    Error Message When You Use a Microsoft Video For Windows-Based Program with a USB Digital Video Camera
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 278033

Or, if you have the Desktop Management Interface (DMI) running, it could be this problem...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190915
    Fatal Exception 0E at 0028:c028bac6 in VXD Vwin32(05)...
    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 190915

Alternately, since the error is at start-up, you may want to selectively remove programs, one by one, from the start-up list, to see which program is causing the problem, by elimination.

Hope one of those help!

About the signing on..I'm not quite sure how the validation works here at TSG, it might be that a combination of the same user id and password can't be used.

I thank you and your mom for the kind appreciation.
    It is very much appreciated! ;)

_

10. eightup1

eightup1

if both you and your mom are behind the same router she may not be able to sign in because of the same public ip address

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice