1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Franco_20, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Franco_20

Franco_20 Thread Starter

Recently when I try to open some programs I get an error saying "a device attached to the system is not functioning." What does this mean and how can I fix it? Thank you for any help.

2. Claymore

Claymore

First, right-click on My Computer and click on Properties.
    Click the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button.
    Do you see any error indicators - a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark?

If so, report back which device is showing the error.

3. Franco_20

Franco_20 Thread Starter

I just checked, and I do not have any error indicators, but I do have a red x on "1394 Net Adapter". I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but when I click on properties the location is on "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller". It kind of seems weird to me that a net adapter would have anything to do with Texas instruments. I hope you can help. Thanks.

Also, there is somthing else that I have a problem with, that just happened right now as I was typing this. Sometimes when I am typing in a text box on firefox, for some reason it goes back one page while I'm typing, and I lose everything I was typing. It's not when I'm pressing backspace either. Any idea what that can be. Thank you.

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

That indicates a disabled device. Try right-clicking on it and selecting 'Enable'.

5. Franco_20

Franco_20 Thread Starter

I enabled it and restarted the computer, but it didn't make a difference. Any other suggestions?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!