1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Messages interfere with shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Geezer77, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

System: Dell Dimension 3000 new, WindowsXP with SP2. When I click to turn off computer, it often hangs (perhaps 20% of the time) and an error message appears that says the program is delayed in shutting down, and if I want to end task now, click on that, but I'll lose data. Otherwise click on cancel. this then cycles round and round repeatedly.
    I learned that there is a program listed in the title. On one occasion something on the order of <SMax4PNP.> On another occasion <DDE Server.>
    What are these programs, what do they do, should I leave them alone, do something else, or what?
    Thank you. Geezer77

2. Sponsor

3. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

i would run Hijackthis. you can get it from here. Think i will ask a mod to move post to security. this was the experts can find you easier.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

4. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

5. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

Next question:
    How do I post a <hijackthis> log?
    Also, I gather neither of you two experts regard this as dangerous. Correct?
    Thanks
    Geezer77

6. cybertech

cybertech Moderator

Create a permanent folder on your hard drive like c:\program files\hjt.
    Download Hijackthis again and click "Save", direct it to the permanent folder you created. Double click on hijackthis.exe and select Do a system scan and save a logfile. This log will open in notepad. Copy and paste the log back here for review.

Don't make any changes until instructed to do so.

To create a permanent folder click My Computer, then C:\ next click on Program files.
    In the menu bar click on File, New, Folder.
    That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\Program files\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice