Error Messages interfere with shutdown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Geezer77

System: Dell Dimension 3000 new, WindowsXP with SP2. When I click to turn off computer, it often hangs (perhaps 20% of the time) and an error message appears that says the program is delayed in shutting down, and if I want to end task now, click on that, but I'll lose data. Otherwise click on cancel. this then cycles round and round repeatedly.
I learned that there is a program listed in the title. On one occasion something on the order of <SMax4PNP.> On another occasion <DDE Server.>
What are these programs, what do they do, should I leave them alone, do something else, or what?
Thank you. Geezer77

Geezer77

Next question:
How do I post a <hijackthis> log?
Also, I gather neither of you two experts regard this as dangerous. Correct?
Thanks
Geezer77

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Create a permanent folder on your hard drive like c:\program files\hjt.
Download Hijackthis again and click "Save", direct it to the permanent folder you created. Double click on hijackthis.exe and select Do a system scan and save a logfile. This log will open in notepad. Copy and paste the log back here for review.

Don't make any changes until instructed to do so.

To create a permanent folder click My Computer, then C:\ next click on Program files.
In the menu bar click on File, New, Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder, which you can rename to "HJT" or "HijackThis". Now you have C:\Program files\HJT\ folder. Put your HijackThis.exe there, and double click to run it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online