1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error messages Norton 2003 LiveUpdate: LU1875 and LU1865

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Saussure, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

My ancient 5-year-old computer runs on Windows XP Home SP2 and has an equally ancient Norton Product installed on it: Norton AntiVirus 2003. It has always behaved well, until I ran LiveUpdate manually. The window looks different (more sleek), as if the LiveUpdate component has been updated. All the components can be updated except for two, which have a red cross next to them. Their error labels are the following:
    LU1875 (it cannot download the NAV anti-virus definitions) and LU1865 (cannot update common Symantec client). I'm translating these error messages from German into English, so I hope I got it correct. I cannot re-install NAV because it came pre-installed on my computer. What I do have is a new version of NAV 2008 (boxed), and which I have not dared install in case the deinstallation of NAV 2003 kills my PC. Anyway...how do I proceed now? There are no nasties on the computer (clean HJT log, Ad-Aware scan and NAV scan. At least NAV can still scan. Miserable thing).

2. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Have also included a screenshot (NAV is in German, but at least you can see what it looks like...and the funniest thing is that there's a huge green hook on the left in spite of the two red crosses...):

Attached Files:

3. Michael York

Michael York

Hello Saussure,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding.

The 2003 version of Norton that you have installed is expired and is no longer supported. Therefore, your definition files are most likely out of date.

You mention that you have purchased a Norton AntiVirus 2008 boxed version. Since you have a valid subscription to Norton AntiVirus, I am happy to let you know that you are eligible for a free update to the new and highly improved Norton AntiVirus 2009.

However, the first thing you will need to do is to properly remove the 2003 version of Norton AntiVirus, install Norton AntiVirus 2008 and then update to Norton AntiVirus 2009. Please follow the steps below.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and instructions

NOTE: Make sure you choose the "2003" version in the instructions for the Norton Removal Tool.

2. After you run the tool, restart your computer .Log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly, and then insert the Norton AntiVirus 2008 CD and begin the installation. During the installation process you will be prompted to either log in or create a new "My Norton Account," which keeps track of your products and subscriptions.

4. After the installation is complete, launch Norton AntiVirus 2008 and manually run LiveUpdate. When that process is complete, perform a "Full System Scan" to check for infections.

5. You are now ready to update to Norton AntiVirus 2009. Using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, click on the link below to visit the Norton Update Center.

Norton Update Center

After the update is successfully applied I would then recommend that you run another "Full System Scan."

Thank you,
    Mike

4. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Hi Mike,
    Thank you very much for your reply and instructions. The anti-virus definition files are up to date (8th October 2008). I won't be able to install NAV 2008 for another 2 or 3 weeks or so, since I do not have the time right now (I'm expecting a good afternoon or so for the whole deinstallation and installation process, plus the full system scans), so is there any way to temporarily fix NAV 2003? I bought the boxed version of NAV 2008 in April or May. I hope it does not have bugs which may upset my computer. About deinstalling NAV 2003: do I first remove it via control panel, or can I simply deactivate AutoProtect and run the removal tool immediately, without preliminary deinstallation via the control panel? Once again, thank you for your time and answer. It's nearly midnight over here in Switzerland, so I'll be logging off now - good night to you :)

5. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

PS: I noticed this process running in my HJT log:
    O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
    Never saw that one before until a few days ago, after NAV's live update session (when, as I am assuming, it changed its liveupdate component). So...looks like the liveupdate client has changed somehow or the other, especially since it looks different (more sleek, as I mentioned before).
    Bonne nuit.

6. Michael York

Michael York

Hi Bonnie,

Since you have such an old version of NAV, I can not determine exactly what you are seeing in terms of the LiveUpdate module. However, it could be that the LiveUpdate module has become corrupted, and since this is an older, non-supported product, your best bet would be to follow my previous instructions to remove and update.

As of the 2008 versions of all Norton consumer products, LiveUpdate is now Automatic and the interface, while changed from previous versions, is rarely needed, as it is all done in the background.

The 2009 version of Norton employs a new LiveUpdate technology which checks for and installs updates in the background every 15 minutes or so to keep you protected.Please try the steps I outlined in my previous post and let me know.

Thanks again,
    Mike

7. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Good morning, thanks for your answer, Mike. The computer is 5 years old, and I did get a chkdsk screen (for the very first time) during startup about three weeks ago, saying that one of hard drives (I have got C and D) had to be scanned for inconsistency. After that, it booted normally into Windows and hasn't reappeared since. Maybe the LiveUpdate module got corrupted through simple wear and tear. I can only hope that deinstalling NAV 2003 won't cause more corruption, since your Norton products tend to be deeply embedded in the registry. Just one question: can I run the Symantec removal tool directly, or do I have to remove Norton via the control panel first, and then run the removal tool?

8. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

9. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Update: I ran the tool above, and it fixed error LU1875. LU1865 still persists, even though I tried out the fix which requires typing Regsvr32 wintrust.dll into the run box. It didn't work. Well, looks like I am FORCED to install NAV 2008.

10. Michael York

Michael York

Hi Saussure,

If Norton AntiVirus or any LiveUpdate modules are listed in the "Add/Remove" Control Panel, you can try that method first, but make sure you also follow the instructions for running the Norton Removal Tool, twice, to make sure that all of the old components are removed.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, your currently installed version of Norton AntiVirus is out of date and is most likely not providing protection, so the best way to keep your system secure is to install your purchased 2008 version and to then update to 2009.

Thanks,

Mike

11. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Hi Mike,
    Okay, I'll run the tool directly (without deinstalling via control panel->add/remove programs first, but I'll turn off AutoProtect beforehand). Are 512 MB and about 13 GB remaining hard disk space (though I suppose the latter will become a little larger after NAV 2003 has gone...hopefully) enough for NAV 2008? According to the system requirements on the 2008 box, it should be enough, but this computer is 5 years old, so I hope it can still "stomach" such a new product. Thanks for all your patience and replies :)
    Also took a look at add/remove programs, and I've got the following Symantec components listed:
    -Live Reg (Symantec Corporation)
    -LiveUpdate 3.0 (Symantec Corporation)
    -Norton WMI Update
    -Norton AntiVirus 2003

12. Michael York

Michael York

Hi,

If you have problems removing the Norton products from the Control Panel, then see if there is an option to disable Norton before doing so. I do not remember if such an option existed in the 2003 version though. However, if you receive messages about it not being able to be removed through the CP, then just follow the instructions I posted regarding the Norton Removal Tool and that should take care of it.

As far as the system requirements go for Norton AntiVirus 2008-2009, it looks as though your system does meet those requirements. The only suggestion I do have is that if you can, upgrading your RAM to 1 GB will definitely help the overall performance of your system.

Lastly, since your system is a bit old, I would highly recommend that you do a general file cleanup and also use the Windows chkdsk and other disk tools to ensure that your drive does not have any errors, prior to installing Norton.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks,
    Mike

13. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your patience and answers. Well...I have no idea how to update my RAM, although I think it involves unscrewing the case of the tower and digging around IN the computer (and I have no idea how to do that). I am very happy with my computer performance (the fact that it has got 2 processors helps). The computer rmodel is sony-vaio pcv-rs204. Well, if NAV 2008 is content with 256 MB and I've got 512 MB RAM...
    Chkdsk already ran of its own accord a few weeks ago in order to test the hard drives for consistency - it complained that one of the drives had some inconsistencies and it cleaned up some "orphaned" stuff.
    NAV 2003 can be disabled by deactivating the AutoProtect feature. I use DiskCleanup and Defragmenter to keep the PC in shape. I've also backed up my important files and documents on external drives. I'll try to go ahead with the NAV "surgery" in another 2 or 3 weeks - it seems like a rather long process, especially since NAV 2008 has a feature which scans the computer for nasties BEFORE installation.

14. Michael York

Michael York

Hi,

If the machine is running to your liking then don't worry about the RAM upgrade. I was merely stating that Windows XP runs ideally with 1 GB of RAM or more. Norton AntiVirus will scan more efficiently with 1 GB or more of RAM installed. As long as you have enough resources free, then you should be ok with 512 MB.

As far as the whole process of uninstall, etc goes, let me clarify something for you. You do NOT need to go through the steps of installing the 2008 version of Norton AntiVirus first. I apologize for any confusion.

After you finish removing the 2003 version, you can then proceed to the Norton Download page and download the 2009 installer.

Re download Norton Products

The installation of Norton AntiVirus 2009 should take less than a minute ! During the installation when you are prompted to enter the product key, use the key that is on the CD cover for the 2008 version. After the installation, click on "Run LiveUpdate" and then do a scan and you should be fine.

Thanks,

Mike

15. Saussure

Saussure Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!