Error messages

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rafty

Using W98 2nd ed. On boot up, my flash screen displays 2 errors --
The following file is missing or corrupted:
C:\Windows\Command\IBMIDECD.Sys and

There is an error in your CONFIGSYS file on line 5

What can I do to correct these errors. Thanks

Hi,

Go to Start, Run, then type in sysedit. Copy and paste the contents of your autoexec.bat file and config.sys file, into a posting here. The first error relates to a missing or damaged driver for your CD drive, and the second error refers to an invalid line or entry in your config.sys.

Just a bit more info should help solve the problem.

:)

Rafty

The 5th line of the C:\CONFIG.SYS reads:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS/D:IBMCD001

The C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT reads:
@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\IBMTOOLS
LH C:\EMF1435\MF.EXE
LHc:\windows\COMMAND\DOSKEY
CWBMIX.EXE/t=1,1
SET DMIDIR=C:\DMI

None of this makes sense to me!! Thanks

Hi,

Try going back into sysedit, then placing a semi-colon in front of that 5th line in your config.sys. It should look like this:

;DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\IBMIDECD.SYS/D:IBMCD001

Then save and restart your system. This should rid you of the errors you get at startup. However, if you plan on working in DOS sometime in the future, then you'll want to obtain a new copy of this IBMIDECD.SYS file, as you won't be able to use your CD-ROM drive in DOS without it, (unless you boot straight to DOS with a Win98 boot-disk).

Post back with your results.

Rafty

:) I placed the semi-colon ahead of line 5 and it solved the problem. Thank you very much

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online