1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Mess's At Start Up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SJA, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SJA

SJA Thread Starter

AT START UP I GET THE FOLLOWING 2 MESSAGES:

The folowing file is mising or corrupted; C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DRVSPACE.SYS
    There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 5

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM
    Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
    C

Can I get these files back????:confused:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi SJA, usually that message for the "missing command interpreter" is an ominous sign that there is irrepairable damage to the file system or partition information on the drive. If you were to do a site search here for the key words "command interpreter" I don't think you'd even find a fix.

However, there just may be some hope in your case. The other parts of the error message indicate that at least there is some partial success in reading the drive.

If you have a startup disk for the installed operating system, boot with it and at the a:\> prompt enter:

sys c:

You should get a message that "system files" have been transfered.

These will include the ones mentioned in the error message -- except config.sys.

Remove the startup disk and ctrl-alt-del to restart Windows.

If you can't get past the config.sys error, restart and hold the ctrl key down until you see the boot menu. Try selecting safe mode. If you can successfully start in safe mode, go to start, run msconfig and uncheck config.sys on the general page. Let us know what happens.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000012.htm

If you don't have a boot disk, you can create one from add/remove programs on a computer with the same Windows versions, or you can download a file which will create one from www.bootdisk.com

see also:

http://www.computerhope.com/syshlp.htm

3. SJA

SJA Thread Starter

hi Rollin Rog

Thanks for your prompt reply

I tried using my CD-Rom Recovery Boot Disk that I got with my PC
    but I got an error message that it was a different version that was installed.
    Tried that site you gave me but it only has downloads for 95a & 95b and my system is 95c would it make a difference if i used 95b.

Thanks again
    Sheryl in sunny NZ

4. SJA

SJA Thread Starter

Hi Rog

Please disregard previous question as I went with my disk and it worked - Thanks again

But now ive lost that thingy that was called DRVSPACE 3 which showed me how much space I had with a pretty graph.

Anyway I can get it back??

Sheryl

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi Sheryl, I'm not really familiar with drivespace 3 other than understanding it is used for creating compressed drives.

Are you able to boot in to Windows now? What exact error message are you getting?

If it is drvspace.sys which is missing, you will probaby have to extract it from your Win95 cd-rom.

I think this command would work:

extract /a d:\win95\precopy1.cab drvspace.sys /l c:\windows\command

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q129605

-- asumes 'd' is the letter assigned the cd-rom drive; it would be one higher if you are using a startup disk to access it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice