1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error: minimt\system32\config\system

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mariskasmt, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mariskasmt

mariskasmt Thread Starter

hi i am trying to repair a friends laptop ( HP altec lansing ) it crashed as she had no antivirus or ever even defragmented it! she has no cds. the os is xp professional. attached the hard drive to my laptop and came up with 40 trojans, worms and what not. 30 percent fragmented. cleaned it up and am getting the message minint\system32\config\system followed by a continues beeeeeeeeeep. tried safe mode, start from last known etc etc. is there a file i can download and input to her harddrive? any help appreciated.(y):eek::eek:

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya mariskasmt.

Here`s the official MS site address for that problem http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B307545 but reading it is a bit hard-going and I think you WILL need to get hold of an XP Pro disk to fix this.

An easier method (with a disk) is to boot to disk and go into the Recovery Console. Then after you`ve chosen the volume you need to fix (probably C or number 1), you`ll get to the flashing cursor. Type chkdsk /r and let it run. Once finished, type exit and take the disk out to reboot to hard drive.

Jenny

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Hello, Mariskasmt and welcome to TSG.

As JennyJackson01 says, you will need an XP CD to need to get in to the system or use your laptop again to see if there's even a folder in there called minint? Ordinarily, XP Pro won't have it and system 32\config which holds the Registry will live in the Windows folder.

You could then rename the file in config called system as system old and then copy system.sav and call the copy system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!