1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error moving file or folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ociardha, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ociardha

ociardha Thread Starter

I am trying to delete two useless files from my hard drive. I keep getting an error message not allowing me to delete the files because they are in use. I have ended unnecessary programs running in task manager, tried moving the file to another folder, used shift+delete (Microsoft's solution)-everything I can think of. Does anyone have a solution to this? (I am running XP home)

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG ociardha.

What is the current path to the file(s) and their names. Be complete and precise in providing them.

3. ociardha

ociardha Thread Starter

Thanks I hope you can help!

There are two folders, both with subfolders. There are no files and 0 bytes data in each folder and subfolder. Folder names are in lower case.

C:\Program Files\microsoft frontpage\version3.0\bin
    C:\Program Files\xerox\nwwia

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Any particular reason why you want to delete those empty folders? I have them exactly as you do on my XP system.

I thought they could be deleted using the following approach through a Command Prompt, but they cannot. I don't know what process is using them. It might be possible to boot up in safe mode and follow this procedure, or just delete them normally from there, but what's the point anyway?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Open a Command Prompt and type the following line exactly and hit enter:

cd c:\Progra~1\Micros~1\Version3.0

>> you should now see:

C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\VERSION3.0>

>> enter exactly rd /s bin

You will get a prompt, confirm by entering 'y' if the target is correct.

>> Next enter each line:

cd C:\PROGRA~1\XEROX

rd /s nwwia

5. ociardha

ociardha Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! And no, there's no reason to delete them. It just bothers me that I can't!

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I am on 98 at the moment and so cannot try this. But there is another trick to try. Start a command prompt. Using Task Manager, end the explorer process.

Then use Rog's commands to delete the files. Does it work?

Restart explorer by clicking the applications tab. Click the New Task Button. Type explorer.exe in the box which will appear.

7. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

Hey, have you try to go into safe mood and remove it there. I am not sure what OS you are using. But I am assuming either XP or W2K. But if you go into safemode you are more then likely able to delete it there. WIsh you luck....

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I dual boot. I was using Win98 yesterday. I went into Win Explorer and deleted the folders in question.

I just booted into XP a few minutes ago to find that they were recreated.

You can delete them outside of Windows, but they don't go away permanently.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!