Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error Msg

991 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  The_Egg 
#1 ·
AFTER ERROR MSG NOTHING COMES UP BUT MY WALLPAPER AND STAYS FROZEN ON THERE.....SOMEBODY HELP!!!![/I THINK IT HAPPEN WHEN I GOT A DOWNLOAD OF WINAMP3 AND I NEEDED XP TO LOAD IT. I DON'T HAVE ANY INTERNET CONNECTION..I GOT THE DOWNLOAD ON FLOPPY... I WAS TOLD TO UPDATE WINDOWS98 AND IT SHOULD WORK..NOT ABLE TO EVEN SETUP WINDOWS...:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

#3 ·
Welcome to TSG, RAW. I see Ratchet has just posted the article I was about to. One applies to a Novel installation if you happen to have it.

But when did this error begin? Have you installed or uninstalled anything in the last few days?

Can you continue after the error and run IE and get an internet connection?

Although it doesn't seem like a likely cause of a log in problem, you can delete the streams and streamsmru folders referenced in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=259096

#4 ·
AFTER ERROR MSG NOTHING COMES UP BUT MY WALLPAPER AND STAYS FROZEN ON THERE.....SOMEBODY HELP!!!![/I THINK IT HAPPEN WHEN I GOT A DOWNLOAD OF WINAMP3 AND I NEEDED XP TO LOAD IT. I DON'T HAVE ANY INTERNET CONNECTION..I GOT THE DOWNLOAD ON FLOPPY... I WAS TOLD TO UPDATE WINDOWS98 AND IT SHOULD WORK..NOT ABLE TO EVEN SETUP WINDOWS...:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

#5 ·
Hopefully it's not too late to restore an older registry. Try this: press and hold the ctrl key starting up to access the startup menu.
Select the command prompt option.

At the c:> prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use your arrow keys to select a registry dated the morning of, or the day before the problem from one of the four registries you see there. Do not select the last on the list (the 5th), as it will not restore.

See also the procedure covered in this thread for what looks like a similar problem:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117386&highlight=winfile

#6 ·
I was just wondering how you managed to get Winamp3 on a floppy when it's a 3.2MB setup file ???:confused:
It's an NSIS installer which is already compressed, so even after zipping it up it's still 3MB.
Floppy disks only hold 1.44 MB
This suggests that either the Winamp3 setup file was incomplete, corrupt, or not the Winamp3 setup file at all.
Also, Winamp3 works perfectly* ok on Windows 98, except a couple of features that only work on Win2k/XP won't be available (ie. desktop alpha blending & some 3rd-party skins which rely on this feature).
No way does the Winamp3 setup prompt you to upgrade to WinXP.

Just thought I'd add ^this^ . . .

Anyway, try Rollin' Rog's and Hatchet's suggestions
and let us know how you get on . . .

*well, I say "perfectly", but actually it's a bit buggy seeing it's a v1.0 release. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.