Error msg's, invalid pgs etc. in Win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hdunn17

:confused: After crashing Win 95, the fellow that "fixed" it installed Win 98, thinking that I would be happy. Boy was he wrong! He took my money and ran. I have received so many error messages (Oe's, Od's, and invalid page blah blah blah), that I go to sleep counting oooo.0000 at modules etc. I have downloaded "Critical upgrades" from Microsoft, and from CatchUp (IE 6, Virtual Machine, DCom, yada yada, yada). It happens mostlyat Pogo.com (I'm in withdrawal for Wordwhomp). Does anybody know what's going on? I'm new at this computer "Stuff", but I sure have become literate in the last three weeks.

Give us some sample errors. If they are "illegal operations" click on the "details" tab and post the modules and addresses involved. If they are blue screens, give us the full, exact messages.

We need to know exactly when these errors occur, whether they are random or predictable and what you have running at the time. You can list what you see in Close Programs (ctrl-alt-del) besides Explorer and Systray and any open browser windows.

And if you have not run an updated antivirus scan, you can go here for an online one:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

hdunn17

I didn't always write down when it happened. It happened everywhere...especially the following OE & OD msgs:

OE 0028:FF010D06
OE 013F:0000663D
OE 0028:C02DCF8A
OE 0028:FF010D16
OD 0715:013F268B
OE 0028:FF010D16

Fatal exception OE at 0028:C02DD59A in VXD esp 32(02) +0000666E - press any key - connected to a blank white home page. I pressed C+A+D - "Program Not Responding". - End Task.

While running Scan Disk - Fatal Exception - OE 0028:C02B98 in VXD IFSMGR (04) *00012E60 - I pressed "any key" - black screen.
I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del - nothing happened - I pressed again, got dialogue bow telling me to "end task, I did. Got black screen & empty dialogue box. I pressed C+A+D again - got "system is busy" on blue screen - told me to "wait or press C+A+D to restart". Pressed C+A+D - nothing happened - same blue screen.
Pressed again, and again (6 more times) but it didn't do anything. I shut down and rebooted.

Illegal Op - USER.EXE at 000(e or c) 00002634 - sent report.
Illegal Op while in Help - DDHELP caused a General Protection Fault in module GOI.EXE at 0001:00001 c2f.

General Protection Fault in module GOI.EXE at 0001:00001C4a 7203. Sent report.
General Protection Fault in module MSGSRV32.EXE at 00001:00000065. Sent report.

OE 0028:FF010D06 in VxD. This was called from 0028:C000BACC in VxD (there was a msg saying "it may be possible to continue normally - press any key". I did. I then got -
OE at 0028:FF010D06 in VXD portcls (01) +000032E6 - I couldn't restart with C+A+D - blue screen with gray rectangle - rebooted.

MSIMN caused an invalid page - Kernell32.DLL at 015f:bff76844.

Fatal exception OD 0028:C000235E in VXD VMM (01) + 0000135E - "The current application will be terminated". It was.

Fatal error at 015F:BFF83BEA.

OE at 0028:FF01052C

OE at 015F:BFF72830

I played around with different things in "there" that I thought would "tell" me what was going on. There was something(I forget what) that asked if I wanted to be informed of whatever. I said "yes", and the only thing that I noticed different was the following message that I got the last two times that I rebooted my computer, I got an "accessibility error" message saying "could not load the enable2.VXD module".

This is a mess and incomplete, but as I am new at this, I was unaware that I would have to write all this down. I kept thinking that whatever "criitical update" that I got would "fix" it. I have a secondhand computer that I was just going to "go on the net" with. Yeah right!

I have since copied out my "Microsoft System Information", ran the Registry Checker, ran the System File Checker, Defragmented twice and learned more than I ever wanted to know. I still can not figure it out. I have found some strange things that might give somebody a clue. Just not me. I'm pretty sure that they are important. I just don't know how.

As I mentioned in prior message, it happens mostly while I am at Pogo.com. In fact, every time I'm there, I get an "Illegal Operation" msg and they shut me down, but open my home page for me. I send the "error report" everytime, but all I'm probably doing is getting myself into trouble with them. I haven't been going anywhere other than learning more about computers so I don't know anything "current". I did try Pogo and got the same old message from Microsoft, and so, I quit.

You have such a variety of errors there that it is particularly difficult to understand why "most' of them would be occuring at Pogo.com.

I'm inclined to see these three possibilities as worth checking out first:

1 -- Faulty ram. Bad ram can cause errorsin a variety of different modules depending on when the particular memory locations are being written to. You can test ram by swapping out sticks where possible. Or you can try a software tester such as DocMemory which will usually spot the major problems.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

To use it, install it to a clean floppy and boot it like a startup disk. Let it run for a couple of "burnin" loops before pressing esc to terminate it. There is also an Adobe help file worth reading.

2 -- Corrupt or incompatible video driver installation. For the most part you can test this by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties>Performance>Graphics. Slide the hardware accelerator to None. This will slow things down substantially, but if you don't get the usual errors, you need to update or at least remove and reinstall.

3 -- Overheating. This could explain the relationship to Pogo, if cpu processing is especially active there. AMD's are particulary prone to overheating, if you have one. If this seems a possiblity to you, remove the case and try keeping a table fan blowing on it to see if the errors repeat.

Also, since you have Win98, why not run the System File Checker (start>run> sfc). But do not replace anything without first checking with us. SFC will often report updated files as being corrupt or changed. And attempts to replace certain ones in Win98 can result in the system not booting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts