1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error, mshtml.dll and sys restore.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by garyandrews, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garyandrews

garyandrews Thread Starter

Hi, I've not been here in a while, things have been OK. I keep getting an error message, I have ME (I know some of you don't like it, but up till now, it's been OK).
    I have ie 6, and it's been fine for ages. Just started getting the message about an error in mshtml.dll and needs to close. I looked at M/softs page where it tells me to either Re-extract Mshtml.dll from the Internet Explorer version 6 cabs, or To resolve this issue, reinstall Internet Explorer 6. You can obtain Internet Explorer 6 from the MS website. None of these works. The first can't find the file. The second says there are files missing from the setup so it can't reinstall ie 6. I tried to see it sys restore might resolve the problem, only to find there are no restore points.

This is the method given for estracting the file
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
    1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    2. Click Extract.
    3. Type ie_1.cab, and then click Start.
    4. In the Restore from field, type c:\windows\windows update setup files.
    5. In the Save as field, type c:\windows\windows update setup files, and then click OK.

IT FAILS AT THIS POINT. Asks if I have the right restore from field as it can't find the file (or words to that effect).

6. When you receive a prompt to back up the file to C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc, click Yes or OK.
    7. If you receive the following prompt, click Yes or OK:
    The backup folder does not exist. Do you want to create it?
    8. If you receive a dialog box that says: "The file was successfully extracted", click OK.
    9. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    10. Click Extract
    11. Type mshtml.dll, and then click Start.
    12. In the Restore from field, type c:\windows\windows update setup files.
    13. In the Save as field, type c:\windows\system, and then click OK.
    14. When you receive a prompt to back up the file to C:\Windows\Helpdesk\Sfc, click Yes or OK.
    15. When you receive a dialog box that says: "The file was successfully extracted", click OK.
    16. Close System File Checker and then restart the computer.

I have read about how the wrong mshtml.dll version (like for ie 5.5) can cause this problem, but this has only just started happening.

Once I do get up and running, it seems OK. But it can spontaneously fail.
    It usually does the error as I come onto my home page after first logging on. I wonder if the problem is there?
    I retry on or possibly two times then it's OK.

Strange that I have lost sys restore too. As far as control panel is concerned, sys restore is on.

I have McAfee virusscan, kept updated weekly by me. Spybot S&D and spywareblaster.

Any clues?

EDIT. The home page is virtually up and running when the error occurs.

Gary

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

When you tried reinstalling IE6, do you remember the exact error message?

Have you tried repairing IE6?

Add/Remove > Programs > double-click Microsoft Internet Explorer > select Repair > Next OK.

Reboot when finished and test.

Zee

3. garyandrews

OK, an odd thing. Before reading your suggestion, I had already decided to do a bit of spring (autumn) cleaning. I cleared my temp internet files, something I usually do regularly, but had left a while. I also looked in the startup menu, and unticked tkbell exe, this is an annoying Real player update thing that loads itself as a startup everytime you play something on Realplayer.
    The error seems to have stopped happening (for the moment). This was before I read your message.

I did as you suggested too, it went through a quick progress bar, but didn't indicate either way whether there had been a problem, or whether there was any repair needed.

This still doesn't explain why I seem to have no restore points, though the program is on. Or why I can't reload IE 6.
    I think the message on that was, to the effect of, there are files missing from the setup, so IE 6 cannot be loaded. I can't remember the exact message, I could try again I suppose, if it happens again. It also seems as though that might be related to why I wasn't able to extract the relevant file mshtml.dll from windows update setup files. Maybe it has gone, or is corrupted. I wonder if that is related to the sys restore problem?

Whatever it is, it's OK at the moment.
    Eventually I'm going to have to upgrade to XP or something.

How hard is it to upgrade, whilst keeping all the files as is, and without a whole load of hassle reloading everything, can that be done? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a way.

Thanks so far.
    Gary

4. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

No I don't think so.

If SR is active as you state, the problem is surely a corrupted _RESTORE folder.

That can be solved from a startup floppy prompt, in DOS.

Are you willing to give it a try?

That's nice, maybe we should let it as is now...?

First, and being an old machine, you must be sure it will be able to cope with WinXP.

I doubt it, but do post some hardware details to see if it will be possible.

Upgrading an Win9x system directly to WinXP is a huge mistake. The best option, again if the hardware can cope, is format and install a fresh WinXP.

You can use an upgrade version if you possess a valid Win9x CD that will be required to validate the upgrade.

Listening...

Zee

5. garyandrews

I seem to recall fixing a corrupt sys restore some years back, I probably have how I did it written down somewhere..who knows.
    I have done it before, but can't recall how. I do have a startup floppy disc.

If you send details, I'll give it a go, when I have a moment (without interruptions) to concentrate.

I think on another previous occasion there was a problem with sys restore, and it was to do with it running out of space. I had to clear something. This was years back, before I had a new hard drive fitted.

I have a pavillion 9720 (that probably doesn't help).
    According to my c drive folder in control panel, with 28.6 GB capacity (the chap who changed the hard drive put in a 30GB, not a 20GB as had previously been in), with 11.4GB free.
    256MB RAM. (Can be upped to 512)
    Only 900mhz processor.

I spoke with a chap in a PC store, he seemed to think it might be possible to upgrade to XP, but he hadn't seen the machine.

My problem is, I have thousands of photographs on my pc (I'm a member of a few stock photography sites), some music, some business letters and invoices as copies. It would be a nightmare to have to ,ooad them all onto discs, like I did last time, then reload them all back in.

The chap in the PC store said he could load them elsewhere in another PC he has, then upgrade mine, then put them all back in again...sound feasable?

Gary

6. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Gary,

Starting it upside down...;)

Excellent, that's one way of doing it, with very little hassle for you.

With 512MB RAM it should work, but may be slower (yes, slower) than WinME.

But before following that route, do check to confirm availability of WinXP drivers for motherboard, add-on cards, etc.

You must delete and recreate the Restore folder.

The safest and easiest way to do that is:

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk and enter the following commands at the A:\ prompt:

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE (note spaces, press Enter)
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST (note spaces, press Enter)

Remove the floppy, and reboot.

You should now have a new, single restore point.

Go to Windows Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder.

Don't forget to configure the disk space you want System Restore to use.

Control Panel > System > Performance > File System > Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to your preferred setting.

Most people find that a setting of 200-300MB is sufficient to hold 10-15 days worth of restore points, unless you are doing a lot of installs/uninstalls, or installing large applications (such as Office).

If you need a new startup disk, you can create one from

Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk > follow the prompts.

You will need a clean formatted floppy.

You must make sure that the file "attrib.exe" is copied to the floppy.

If it wasn't, please copy it manually before using that startup floppy.

Good luck,

Zee

7. garyandrews

Thanks Zee, (like your alphabet starts with zee motto)
    If I remember right, to reboot with the floppy, Ijust put it in, and it reboots itself? Or do I do restart...can't remember.
    Then at the end, I just close and restart.

I'm sure I've seen the procedure you've given before, I might even have it in one of these reams of sorting problems papers I've got!
    Gary

8. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Gary,

You just put the startup floppy in the drive and restart the PC.

When prompted select without CD ROM support and proceed.

If that doesn't work (i.e. doesn' boot to an A:\ prompt) check the Bios to make sure the first boot device is the floppy.

That's it.

Zee

Edit:

After the DOS commands, you just remove the floppy and CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart the PC.

9. garyandrews

Further to the above...the MSHTML.DLL error has started happening again. I have found that if I make google my home page it doesn't happen. It only happens when I try to go on my original home page of Orange.co.uk, and then it's not every time, but more often than not.
    Message is.
    Iexplore has caused an error in MSHTML.DLL, Iexplore will now close.

The orange page is virtually open and running when it happens. It's as if all the info on the page, pictures etc are affecting it. I realise that ME is now getting out of date and that a lot of pages will have features that it might not agree with.

According to a microsoft support page, ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318153 ) it's to do with explorer 6 requiring a MSHTML.DLL version 6.0.2600.0, and that the error message may occur if I'm using a different version of this DLL, which can cause an access violation. The method they give to resolve it does not seem to work, for some reason it can't find the relevant file. Any ideas?

10. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Confirm which version of IE6 you are running.

Check also the version of MSHTML.DLL in your C:\Windows\System folder.

Post here the versions. Maybe you need some IE6 update...??

Zee

11. garyandrews

Hi Zee, got IE 6.0.2800.110615

(says at the bottom, this is a customised version, though that may have no relevance.)

How do I look in system folder?

12. garyandrews

Got it...MSHTML.DLL 6.0.2800.1555
    am I to assume they should be the same? If so, how do I change the version?

Just looked quickly on a microsoft forum I found (a bit heavy going techie stuff, I'm not a member, I was peeking) it appears someone else was having similar problems with a medical site that did the same. Maybe it's just the orange.co.uk site? Saw something also about pages with pictures on them, maybe something like that. I'm going to try looking on other home pages, yahoo etc..and see if it happens.

another thing. My system restore only had three days worth of restores on it since sorting it out from the last time above. How far back do they normally go? Doing a restore hasn't helped with the error problem.

13. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

It seems you're up to date.

Let's start with a thorough cleanup.

CCleaner can do that with a single click:

I recommend the slim version, English only, no toolbar, which you can get here:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx

Download, install and launch.

By default it will open the Cleaner section.

Tick all items under the Windows and Applications tabs and hit the "Run Cleaner" button.

When it finishes, reboot IMMEDIATELY.

Test.

Listening...

Zee

14. garyandrews

Sorry for delay in any reply, I've been off the pc for a while. So what exactly does the cleanup do (what does it clean up?)? Before I do it (which is likely to be tomorrow now). Since making google my homepage, yet again the problem has stopped. I can even go onto orange with no problem (weird eh?). I'll give it a go, just wondered what it is cleaning up.
    Thanks for taking time to reply.

15. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

See here:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I've read your problem may be related to corrupted cookies or IE cache.

Hence, this cleanup may solve your problem.

Zee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!