Error on bootup on win98 se

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

summerfallows

Everytime I boot up my computer, it displays the following message:

C:\rem [HEADER]
Bad command or file name

What's happening, and how do it fix/get rid of this message?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi summerfallows, welcome to TSG....

Does it continue to boot into windows?

If so, start button, run, then type sysedit and hit ok....

Look at the config.sys and autoexec.bat listings to see what's showing up there.....the REM is on the wrong side from first glance.

summerfallows

Hi Candy,

I reversed the order of the words and no go. All the commands in the config.sys are set up thus:

REM [........]

and there are only two other commands in the auto.bat other than REM [Header]:
rem - By Windows 98 Network -c:\windows\net start

and
@ECHO off

Any other ideas??

Thanks

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Delete it....it's already trying to be removed....so you don't need it anyways....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online