1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error on installing XP Home - stuck at Windows Setup screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geoff23, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoff23

Geoff23 Thread Starter

I built a new PC and installed Windows XP Home OK. Connected to the Internet without anti virus and picked up several viruses. Refomatted hard drive to clear problem and now cannot install past the Windows Setup blue screen. I can install Win98 on the same computer but neither CD nor boot floppy will install XP. Suspect hardware failure on motherboard or RAM. looking for diagnostic tool to test motherboard and or memory.

System begins installation after correctly identifying hardware but always stalls at the same point, blue screen with Windows Setup in white letters in upper left corner.

System is completely new with AMD XP2500 Barton CPU, M848A motherboard, 512mb of RAM, 80gb Maxtor HDD. OS would be Win XP Home.........

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

First thing.....
    When the bsod(blue screen of death) comes up write down the error and respond back. This will help us in determining what is causing the problem. I really doubt that you have a hardware problem. Since the system passes the initial post test.

Depending on what little nasty viruses you caught. Some are not deleted just by reformatting the hard drive. You may need to do a low level format to make sure your boot sectors are clean as well as your fat table isnt infected.

There are some pro's and con's to doing a low level format.
    Pro's.....put's the drive back to like new status. Like you just bought it.
    Con's....It takes hours to do a low level format, but It's dependant on the size of the drive. You can download the low level format tool from your hard drive manufacturer.

Before i shoot the gun let's see what this error message is telling us......

3. Geoff23

Geoff23 Thread Starter

I have been 'playing' with this problem for a while and have tried the hard disk in another PC. It accepts the XP install with no problem. I formatted the new HDD as NTFS originally but have now reformatted a number of times ending up on FAT32. I used FDISK to reformat MBR and have jumpered the motherboard to clear the BIOS in case there was a virus there. I have tried a boot floppy for XP and stop at eaxcatly the same point as when using the CD or after copying I386 folder to the HDD and running WINNT.EXE directly.

There is no error message with bsod. If I boot the machine now it will go through POST and start loading Windows and then just hang. when I see a normal install a grey bar appears at the bottom of the blue screen and text in black tells e what fiels are being copied - this never happens on this machine.

By a process of trial and error we know the XP CD, DVD drive and HDD work in other machines. This leaves the motherboard, RAM and AMD CPU as suspect. We wonder if an odd fault with RAM is being found by XP that is not relevant to Win 98 or ME. There is a single 512mb DIMM so cannot easily try a swap.

Other thought is that XP detects some failure on the motherboard that is not relevant to Win98 or ME.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/289839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice