1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error on start up

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by patti9, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

I wonder if someone could explain what happened to my PC this morning. My daughter turned it on and then called me to see what was happening. There was a message filling the whole screen which said 'Windows will have to shut down because of a serious error'. I came to the screen just as I saw the bottom line which said something about a 'memory dump'. With that my pc re-booted and a what looked like a loading bar went across the bottom of the screen. Eventually it loaded to windows. But at the start menu all I got was a blank, black box which if I moved the mouse over it, the programs shows up. I used system restore and now it seems to be working ok. Also my Win Patrol showed me a program that wanted to run on start up which was the memory dump? I'm worried about this error and would be grateful if someone would explain and advise please. Thank you

2. smeegle

smeegle

What type of system are you using? I checked the Windows link but it only gives general information without the specific system that's being used.
    http://www.microsoft.com/

3. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

Hi Smeegle and thank you for your reply. I'm using Windows XP home edition on a Packard Bell Multimedia P4. Do you think what happened is anything to worry about. I dont understand what happened but it all seems ok now. I have run a virus check and also run Ewido and Defender both are clear. Many thanks.

4. new tech guy

new tech guy

Ok what i beleive happened was that windows crashed. If system restore got the system working ok again than whatever caused the crash has been successfully undone. If your concerned keep an eye on winpatrol and dont allow what doesnt sound right but be careful not to deny somthing that is vital to the operating system's function. Was there any program you installed or changed right before the crash? If so what is it, have you tried it again to verify it? Or it just could have been somthing going batty and making windows a little unhappy which system restore easily undone. Mainly, i wouldnt worry about it unless the problem comes back to haunt you.

5. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply and advice which is much appreciated. There was no apparent reason for my pc to crash. The only thing that been different here (London UK) is that we have had a massive heat wave and I turned my pc off because I did'nt want any harm to come to it. By the way was that the correct thing to do?. I think i remember being told by someone that when the weather is very hot you should turn the pc off so it does'nt overheat? Anyway, again, thank you for your kind help.:)

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

Yeah that is fine. If you have an ac unit running in the room, it is not necessary and the pc should always be on a surge protector. The reason of the crash could have been heat or somthing just happened that did not work out. Are you having any problems right now? If you are concerned about heat, you can vacumn the back vents of the pc out with a vacumn to help the computer breathe easier. :)

7. patti9

patti9 Thread Starter

Hi there and thank you. So far so good. I dont have air con at home just a couple of fans.. so it could possibly be the heat here. (hottest day ever recorded in the UK!) Good idea to vacuum the vents. Will do that.

8. new tech guy

new tech guy

Ok, like i said, it could have been many things. But as long as there are not any problems you should be fine. :)
    happy computing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice