Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error reading boot configuration file after partition moving

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  hulkinator 
#1 ·
I moved and expanded a partition on my computer (moved left) and have gotten this error upon boot.

"An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

I have tried using the startup repair tool and using the repair console to run BootRec.exe /RebuildBcd, to no success.

I cannot undo the changes as the partition's were join and now form one complete hard disk. Can anyone help me?

#2 ·
Have you tried BootRec.exe /fixmbr and BootRec.exe /fixboot as well? Performing one or both of those before /RebuildBcd might help.

Didn't image your hard drive first, I take it? Hopefully you at least backed up your data before messing with the partitions... otherwise we may have a handful of chores ahead to recover your data if we can't get Windows to boot. If you have another computer handy with an extra connector for your tanked HDD that will make data recovery easier, otherwise you'll need an external HDD or a bunch of flash drives, depending on how much data you will need saved.

#5 ·
Yes, that did not work either. I've resolved the issue by connecting my hard drive as a slave to another machine and copying the data I wish to keep over to that computer's hard drive, which I will transfer back once I have completed a re-install of Windows 7.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.