1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Error reading file" on pics just uploaded to PC from camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by EAC2010, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I received help here a few days ago about reinstalling MS Photo Editor on my computer. Somehow Windows Picture Gallery had taken over and I've since downloaded MS Photo Editor and set it as my default to view photos. The new problem is that I just uploaded new photos to my computer from my Canon Powershot and when I click to open them with MS photo editor I get an error message saying "Error opening file." MS Photo Editor is opening all of my old photo files just fine - it seems to be these new ones off my camera that are giving me trouble. When I open them with Windows Photo Gallery they open fine, but I hate using that program. Any advice? I'm so frustrated!
    Erin

2. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

I am still able to use MS Photo Editor to open new photos that I've copied/saved off of the internet or email attachments. The problem seems to be only NEW photos that I've uploaded to the computer from my Canon Powershot. Any suggestions??
    Thanks!!

3. wowzer

wowzer

How are uploading from the camera? usb... card reader

What format are the new pictures that are from the camera? Maybe Canon propritary format that the editor can't read? raw or whatever Canon calls it.

4. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I use a usb to upload - I don't use the software that came with the camera - I just click "removable storage" - "DCIM" - "100 Canon" - then cut the photos from there and paste them into My Pictures.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure re: format issue? Can you tell me how to check that?
    THanks!!

5. wowzer

wowzer

right click on one of them and select properties. Maybe you have changed a setting in the camera by mistake.

As a side note I always copy and paste when downloading images, then I check that they are for sure in the computer before formating the camera/card.

Cut and copy eliminates the option to check

Attach one of the new ones here if you like and I will have a look..

6. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Thank you. Everything looks the same in the properties area for photos taken before I downloaded the MS Photo Editor and after... I just don't get it! Do you think it could have something to do with MS Photo Editor itself? Like maybe I should unistall it and re-install?

7. wowzer

wowzer

What is the file extention? .jpg or what

What happens if you try opening one MS Paint?

Not likely, other than being a file extention it can't read

8. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

file extension is jpg... and they are opening fine with MS Paint (I just don't really like/know how to use that - I much prefer MS Photo Editor) - weird right?!

9. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Now this is very strange - I just now saw your kind offer to look at one of the photo files.
    I tried twice to upload one of the photos i'm having trouble with and it said the upload failed!

10. moper

moper

MS Photo Editor is old, and I believe it has problems with 'large' pictures.

What are the size of the camera photos in pixels?

Just for a test, you could try resizing one to half size. Or, set your camera to take a lower resolution photo. See if it will then open them.

moper

11. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

they are quite large... 1.71MB... but then it doesn't make sense that PE can open the ones that were already on the computer b/c they're all the same size. the only ones I can't open are the ones that I just cut/pasted off my camera. good tip re: COPYING instead of CUTTING... wish I had been doing that!
    i've done a google search on the issue, and it seems others have had similar problems (particularly while running Vista), but I haven't yet been able to find a solution.

12. wowzer

wowzer

Sorry I didn't mention you need to resize before uploading here at TSG.. You could host one at imageshack or another hosting site and link it to here.

moper maybe right about PE and Vista.. I won't get rid of XP Pro until He$$ freezes over... :)

13. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Okay, I uploaded one of the photos to imageshack - it's resized:
    http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/8963/img4838j.jpg
    The weird thing is that MS Photo Editor was working fine with Vista before I opened up a photo using windows photo gallery and seemed to have lost MS Photo Editor. So I downloaded a free version of it off the web, and now I'm having trouble that I wasn't having before.

14. moper

moper

Where did this program that you downloaded install itself to?
    Right click the shortcut, choose Properties, and note the location.

If you had MS Photo Editor previously installed, chances are that it is still there. It usually came with older versions of 'Office'.
    Do you have an Office CD?

The default location was: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PhotoEd

Look for these these files:
    If they are there, doubleclick 'Photoed.exe', and try that.
    Or make a new shortcut, pointing to this Photoed.exe.

Photoed also uses these filters to open various images. They are in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Grphflt

Bmpimp32.flt
    Fpx32.flt
    Gifimp32.flt
    Jpegim32.flt
    Pcximp32.flt
    Png32.flt
    Tgaimp32.flt
    Tiffim32.flt

moper

15. EAC2010

EAC2010 Thread Starter

Darn, just did that and the Photo Ed folder doesn't even appear... I wonder what the heck happened to my original MS Photo Editor program.
    I think it's probably time to just download a new program and start fresh with something that works nicely with Vista. Do you have any suggestions for something similar to MS Photo Editor? I only really use it to crop photos, resize photos, and lighten/darken photos. But I do those things OFTEN so am looking for something without a lot of bells and whistles that will probably just confuse me!
    As always, thanks so much for your help!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice