1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Report

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Robert the Bruce, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert the Bruce

Robert the Bruce Banned Thread Starter

Almost everything I try to do offline e.g. copy files, open folders, run a search, open programs etc etc what I get is a box saying 'Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience'. There are more words then at the bottom 'Send Error Report' and 'Don't Send'. I've been advised to start again from scratch i.e. clean the hard drive and reinstall all my discs to factory settings. If this advice is good how do I do this. Sorry about my lack of computer jargon knowledge.

2. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Do you have recovery or installation discs Robert?

3. Robert the Bruce

Yes I have all my installation discs. BTW my name is not Robert. Robert the Bruce is a Scottish Historical Figure (see the movie 'Braveheart').

4. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Lol - i gathered bud! - I'm in England! - Just didn't know what to call you!

Basically, pop in disc 1 of you recovery set and boot away!

Just make sure you backup anything you need to keep, just in case.

5. Robert the Bruce

I understand you didn't know what to call me, just my wee joke. I'm new to computers and I'm sorry to say I don't know what you mean by 'recovery set' and 'boot'. I'm not sure I have any recovery discs only the discs I got when I bought the computer. You know disc for monitor, motherboard, security, Ability Office, Epson Printer, Power DVD, Nero, Windows XP Home, VGA Driver and Buffalo (Router). Are you saying I should insert all of these discs one by one ?

6. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

You need your recovery CD's that came with your machine.

For example if you have a Dell, Dell would have provided you with a set of "Recovery discs" when you purchased the laptop.

Have you got a set anywhere?

7. Robert the Bruce

I don't have a laptop I have a PC. Again, are you talking about the kind of discs I described above ?

8. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Laptop / Desktop, no difference here.

You need recovery disks, they should be clearly marked.

without those you're going no-where at the moment.

9. Robert the Bruce

It seems I'm going nowhere at the moment. All I have is installation discs, at least I'm assuming that's what they are. I don't see anything that says 'recovery discs'. Should the company which sold me my PC have provided me with recovery discs ?

10. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Yes, you should have recovery disks of some sort.

List what the names are of the disks that you have...

11. Robert the Bruce

A8N-SLI Series Motherboard, Epson Stylus Photo R800, Cyber Link Power DVD, Nero CD Kit, Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, VGA Driver CD Auto-Detect VGA Driver, Samsung SyncMaster TFT-LCD Monitor, McAfee Internet Security Suite 2005 Version 7.0, Ability Office and Buffalo Air Navigator. That is all the discs I have that came with the machine.

12. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Sorry for the delay, try putting in and booting from your Win XP CD, that should do the trick.

13. Robert the Bruce

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

14. OctanSenator

OctanSenator

Good luck bud! - Take your time and follow the prompts, give me ashout if you get stuck!

15. Robert the Bruce

Thanks for your help everyone who answered. Started from scratch, re-installed Windows XP and all my other discs. Problem seems to have cleared up. Ta.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice