1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error rundll32.exe cant open anything in the control panel

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dgail45, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgail45

dgail45 Thread Starter

error rundll32.exe wont allow anything to open in the control panel. the system is running on the dual boot win 2000 and 98 win,with 2000 being the default. i want to know first if there is any way around the rundll.exe error or if i reload win 98 will it still maintane all of my settings and files. or if i up grade to 2000 will all my data stay intact. on other mach with simular problems reloading win2000 solved the problem but wiped all of 98 info completely off. that was ok because no one was using 98 anyway
    but this mach every thing is on the 98 side and it doesnt matter about 2000 side

help help help cant afford to lose any data on this mach.

thanks [email protected]

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Exactly what does the error say?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG dgail45.

You may have a viral infection causing that error. Sircam is one that affects rundll32.exe, for example. You can do an online scan here:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

In any case you will probably need to replace rundll32.exe. You can use the System File Checker to do this. Here are basic instructions:

Using SFC to extract files

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
    2. Check "Extract one File"
    3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
    4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
    5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice