1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error rundull32

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by animeshh, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. animeshh

animeshh Thread Starter

C:\Windows\system322\rundll32.exe--Application not found
    Hello everyone- I'm having some major system issues...My wife complained that system was running slow so I ran CCleaner (analyzed and cleaned) and SuperAntispy
    (Quarantined). I was then prompted to reboot and then the u know what hit the fan. Icons appearing on my quicklaunch no longer would load (except IE and desktop)...received "application not found errors" which appeared when clicking on them...for Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, Itunes Windows media player etc.. ...you name it. Moved over to system tray. Click on the volume control and nothing happens...click on the clock and rundll32.exe not found. No trace of Symantec icon, Safely remove hardware or anything else that was previously there. . I'm not sure if my rundll32.exe file is corrupted, or if I might have encountered a debilitating virus. The only way to load itunes, Word, Excel is to click on a an existing desktop file with MP3, *.doc or * .xls extensions and then the file together with the program loads. When I try through Start>Programs>Microsoft office the apps are never found. When trying to load programs in mystart menu a screen pops up on my screen and says "Open With" on the top bar and had a list of "recommended programs". Many do not even appear. I even copied a new rundll32.exe program on my computer (since the messages said not found) after renaming the one which was still in my system32directory and this did not fix the problem.
    When I go to control Panel Add remove programs, System, User account etc...all result in a window pop up which says rundll32.exe not found.

I've done some reading which suggests the following: "Since Rundll32.exe is involved with many processes in Windows, it isn't uncommon that error messages crop up that include references to it. That does not mean that Rundll32.exe is itself the actual culprit. More often than not the problem lies elsewhere, such as the DLL file that is being called. Persistent error messages may also indicate infection by a virus or a spyware or Trojan problem". So....I'm thinking that perhaps I did not acccidentally delete any files but the "slowness" indicated by my wife which led to my initial running of Spyware and Ccleaner may in fact have been a virus but I'm not certain and I am at a total loss for answers and solutions at this stage.

Can anyone please provide me with some direction on what to do, where to go and what to try next? I cant run anything from my start run menu...msconfig, SFC ...nothing. It keeps asking me to choose the program I want to use to open the file. I can't run Norton to run a scan...also asks me what program to use and Norton is not on the list....soooo, I am clueless.

Any insight, assistance and support by any of you guys would truly be EXTREMELY appreciated!! Thank you for taking the time to read this message. As u may tell, I am really frustrated at this point. :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!