Error saving *.xls to network drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NateRD23

Hey guys

I have Office 97 and I cannot save an excel file to a network drive. We had a marco virus, at least thats what the network admin said, that caused files not to save on the network drive where they were opened from (Office XP). Once the file is opened and changes are made, you hit save and the Excel program hangs up. It then says something to the effect that it cannot save under the specific name and needs to save it as a temp file.

Now, in Office XP SP3 fixes that. This user has office 97 and was wonder if there are any fixes out there so we wouldnt have to restore files. The other office programs work fine like Word and powerpoint and so on. Any ideas???

Thanks

NateRD23

I get an error "Save not completed. File rename failed. Retry?" THEN

It tells me about it created a temporary file that is alpha-numeric in the same location as it was opened from.

NateRD23

I think what it boils down to is that Excel cannot save over the temp file that it creates when the files are located on the network.

NateRD23

First error is:

"Save not completed. File rename fail. Retry?"

Second error is, if I hit the "Retry" button:

The Same as above.

If I hit the "Cancel" button:

Your changes could not be saved to "filename", but were saved to a temporary document named "hexadecimal name". Close the existing document, then open the temporary document and save it under a new name.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online