1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error saying "network may have become out of range" - router and wlan card is OK

Discussion in 'Networking' started by meirionwyllt, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. meirionwyllt

meirionwyllt Thread Starter

I was given an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 and have reformated the HDD to clear whatever junk was on it. After putting Windows back on (XP SP3) everything seems to work as it should, apart from that I can’t connect to my home wi-fi network. The network is picked up OK, but when I click connect I get an error saying that the network may have become out of range (even when right next to the router).

I have three other PCs connecting wirelessly to the network with no probs.

The router is not restriced to certain mac addresses.
    There are plenty of available DHCP slots.
    It works OK via ethernet.
    I have tried disabling wireless security on the router.
    I have tried changing the wireless channel to something else on the router

The laptop has an inbuilt mini-PCI wireless card that seems to be hooked up OK to the antenna, and the driver is the latest one.
    I have also tried a Linksys PCMCIA wi-fi card (I’ve been using this fine on another laptop).

Could this be an issue with whatever driver controls these interfaces, such as PCI Bridge, Chipset, or whatever. Which one could it be? Any ideas? I’ve manually gone right-click Update Driver to all system devices in Device Manager and still doesn’t work.

Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Get from Toshiba's web site the latest chipset and integrated networking drivers for your PC. Install the chipset drivers first and then the networking. See if that helps.

3. meirionwyllt

UPDATE:

Got the latest chipset drivers. The inbuilt Wi-fi still doesn't work but, strangely, my Linksys PCMCIA card now connects. However, it's tempremental. Sometimes the scan for wifi networks doesn'r show anything, and other times it finds my router. It sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't, and when it connects I get dropped packets - when I do a constant ping - " ping 192.168.1.1 -t " - about one in every 4 ping attempt fails, the other 3 fine.

This is a clean install laptop, so I'm ruling out any spyware intervention. Also, as mentioned above, this PCMCIA card has worked fine on my other laptop and connected to my router no probs before with the same driver CD.

I've never experienced any wireless interference issues before, despite connecting many wireless devices to this router over the years. I've tried changing the wireless channel but nothing.

Any ideas?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After installing the chipset drivers did you then install, or reinstall, the latest driver from Toshiba for the integrated wireless adapter?

I don't know about the Linksys card, but I would get the latest driver from Linksys's site (even though the one on the CD worked before) and make sure that there are not multiple wireless utilities running. Possibilities include XP's WZC (Control Panel - Administrative tools - Services - check Wireless Zero Configuration) and a Linksys utility (I think called a "monitor").

5. meirionwyllt

I'm nearing my wit's end with this one...

I installed the latest chipset from the toshiba website, then preceeded to install the latest Toshiba (inbuilt) and Linksys (external) drivers. No luck!

I even have that DriversHQ software where it says whether or not your system's drivers are up to date. It said that my chipset drivers still weren't up to date, and gave me a link for a newer one. I installed that, then re-installed both toshiba and linksys drivers. Still nothing, despite taking care to disable one card whilst trying the other.

I have tried both WZC and the linksys/toshiba software and they both yield bad results.

Anyone got any more suggestions?
    Thanks.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

7. meirionwyllt

Thanks JohnWill, here's the info:

1. Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter WPC54G Ver.3
    Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card

2. Yes, when I did a clean install Windows couldn't find the right drivers for "Infrared devices -> SMC IrCC - Fast Infrared Port" and also "Other devices -> PCI Modem" (icon showing with yellow exclamation mark), but I then disabled them because I didn't need them, so they both have a red X. Also, when I try to get, say, the Toshiba wi-fi card to work I tend to disable the Linksys one, and vice versa.

3. The two yellow exclamations marks mentioned in 2.

Here's my IP config. I enabled both wi-fi cards before doing this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Gwyn>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptopgwyn
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-2D-87-CA-91

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-0D-86-5A-0C
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.18
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 November 2008 18:23:09
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 November 2008 19:23:09

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
    WPC54G Ver.3
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7E-CB-2B-DA
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.19
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 17 November 2008 18:37:40
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 November 2008 19:37:40

C:\Documents and Settings\Gwyn>

Thank you.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Linksys wireless card appears to be connected to a wireless network. Try unplugging the cable (which also appears connected) and doing the following tests.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

9. meirionwyllt

Yeah the linksys was coonected when I did the ipconfig. Sometimes it connects and sometimes not. When connected with the linksys (and the ethernet cable out), if I do a constant ping (using the "-t" switch) to the router, I get occasional dropped packets, a rate of perhaps one in five.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My understanding now: you have two symptoms, 20-25% of pings fail and sometimes the wireless will not connect. Same symptoms with two different wireless adapters.

Other computers work OK on this wireless network. The problem computer works OK on ethernet with this router. One of the above wireless adapters works OK with another computer.

Conclusion: use ethernet with this PC. :)

This is beginning to sound like some kind of general computer (motherboard) failure. One more suggestion, very similar to my previous, enable those devices in Device Manager and yet again install the latest chipset drivers and wireless adapter driver from Toshiba's web site. See if the devices are all OK now. If not, what problem(s) remain?

11. meirionwyllt

For some reason the laptop in question will now always connect (via the linksys card), but I'm still getting around one in 10 pings failing without pattern. So the situation is getting better, but it's still no good when I'm playing movies off a network share (which works fine with my other wireless devices) or when installing programs off a network share - it just fails when I try to install things because of the lost packets.

Is there any other factor that could cause lost packets?

Thanks for your help.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wireless interference. Faulty router. Router's firmware needs an update. Faulty wireless adapter. Incorrect or corrupted adapter driver. Computer too slow (or burdened by malware or other applications) to handle all packets. (And probably dozens more that I don't know anything about.)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice