1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error 'Semaphore Timout Period Expired'

Discussion in 'Networking' started by guinnesstain, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guinnesstain

guinnesstain Thread Starter

I have x1 Desktop and x1 Laptop.
    They are both on Win XP Pro and are fully updated.
    I have always networked them using Cat5 cables and an active hub and had a shared Internet connection on the Desktop and had no massive problems.

one day recently I plugged in the Laptop and turned it on. Not only could I not connect to the net but neither PC could access the other.

I have run the Network setup wizard on the Desktop and then on the Laptop and managed to mess with things so the ICS is now working again. But neither PC can see the other.

I get the error message:

\\Desktop is not accessible. (sometimes this part says: 'MSHome is not accessible')

You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found. (sometimes this part says: 'the semaphore timeout period has expired' or 'The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available')

There is only one user on each PC, ME.

I have opened command prompt and ran ipconfig and then ran 'ping'. Both PC's can ping each other with no problems but I can still not access files on each PC. I HAVE shared folders on both and they should be seen.

:confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/205172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice