1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error showing on startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 7wolves1, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 7wolves1

7wolves1 Thread Starter

on startup error message shows up stating file cannot be opened file may be corrupted replace with new file.uninstalled anything that i had installed previously a problem showed up saying that microsoft video for windows .dll has altered windows system file any ideas?

2. brianF

brianF

try going to start/run/type sfc and press enter. run the system file checker to look for altered or corrupt files

It may also be something being loaded from msconfig, go to start/run/type msconfig and press enter, go to the startup tab, this is a list of everything that windows loads at startup.
    Uncheck anything you don't think is needed.
    If your not sure go to start/run/type msinfo32 and press enter, go to left hand frame, software environment tab, expand it, select startup programs, you should see a list of the programs in the right hand column, go to the edit menu, choose select all, back to edit menu, choose copy, then paste the list back into this thread and maybe someone will notice something loading that could be the cause of the problem.

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Sounds like you may have a virus...

Have you tried to log on in safe mode?

If you can & have an updated virus scanner ... you should run it.

Savvy :)

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Oh I thought he was not able to boot up

5. 7wolves1

7wolves1 Thread Starter

brian f info was useful in finding corrupt file. file name is setupx.dll tried to restore file but no luck something about backup file?

6. brianF

brianF

7. 7wolves1

7wolves1 Thread Starter

hopefully Ulead Photo Express 3.0 SE Calendar Checker Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 3.0 SE\CalCheck.exe"
    ZoneAlarm Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nopopup
    run Win.ini hpfsched
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SoundMan Registry (Machine Run) SOUNDMAN.EXE
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    New.net Startup Registry (Machine Run) rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\NEWDOT~2.DLL,NewDotNetStartup
    MSN Messenger Registry (Machine Run) C:\MY DOCUMENTS\MY RECEIVED FILES\PIC1324(2)(1).exe
    CreateCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\EASYCD~1\CREATECD\CREATECD.EXE -r
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
    TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    MiniLog Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service
    hopefully this list is helpful in solving my problem

8. beach51

beach51

Hi 7wolves1,seems like BrianF isnt here right now so i'll jump in.You have a spyware program in your startup programs,and a real nasty one,called newnet.Go to Start>Run>type in msconfig>click ok.Click on the startup tab,take the check mark out next to newnet,click apply,then ok,reboot the computer.Now go to the control panel,add and remove programs,highlight newnet,click the remove tab,reboot the computer.

Now go to this site and download a program called Ad-aware5.6,this is a free program that will scan your computer for any spyware componnets that might still be there.

http://www.lavasoftusa.net

After you download the program,also download the lastest signature file (Ref-list)unpack it to the lavasoft folder,now run the scan,making sure all the boxs on the left side of the dislog screen are check.Delete all the spyware the Ad-aware finds.

Let us know how you make out

9. 7wolves1

7wolves1 Thread Starter

beach 51 ,sorry took so long to reply back.did everything you suggested and found 2componets got rid of them with the adware program as well as that net startup you also told me to get rid of .error message still showing up, what now?yes i did reboot my computer after all of the above.

10. deanas

deanas

Have you tried windows update in the start menu.
    I had a problem like this and a download from MS took care
    of it.

11. 7wolves1

7wolves1 Thread Starter

tried windows update but no change.this is more annoying than anything else.computer seems to work ok other than that

12. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:cool: Hello 7wolves,

Go Here and download Bootlog Analyzer. Install it on your machine then run it. Be sure to check the "Show Delays" and "Show Failures" options when you run it. This program will tell you what is failing to load and it will also tell you how long each startup app. takes to load. Copy and paste the info here if you need any help. Good Luck. KW1

Yes, it's freeware and has no spyware.

13. 7wolves1

7wolves1 Thread Starter

downloaded bootlog analyzer checked show details,show failures but coundn't make heads or tails of it. also couldn't get it to copy or paste am i doing something wrong?

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

15. weatherman436

weatherman436

It seems like nothing seems to be helping you here. Are you Uninstalling anything? if so, are you doing it the right by clicking Start/Settings/Control Panel and Add/Remove Programs? Now this problem won't fix your error message. I know someone who always has these problems. I would try reinstalling Windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice