"Error SU00013" when installing win98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

beno78

Hi,

I am installing windows 98 on a old laptop, and keep getting "Error SU0013 setup cannot create files on your startup drive and cannot setup windows"

I have reformatted the drive several times, and I am able to run an error free scan disk and chkdsk, but win setup keeps stopping. Any ideas??

Thanks.

beno78

The laptop is a Compaq, so its not the same one listed on the KB article. I am also running the setup from dos prompt anyway.

The drive is 4Gb, and the only unusal thing is that it comes preconfigured with a partition at the start of the drive, which is labeled CONFIG and listed as EISA when I look at the drive on my XP desktop. I cannot remove the partition, as I have tried. I have also used the setup switch that forces the setup to run to a certain location, ie SETUP C:\windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The EISA partition is either a Compaq recovery or diagnostic partition -- probably the former.

You did format the drive FAT32 did you not? What was used to do the format?

How much available space is there on the "c:" partition?

I've never seen this issue before so I'm as much in the dark as you.

beno78

Rog,

Yeah, I have formatted the drive as FAT32. I have used the windows setup to format from DOS prompt, and also formatted the drive from my desktop PC, using XP format(via disk manager)

The drive shows the space as being accurate, ie around 4Gb. It was also suggest on another forum that I may not have write permissions to the drive for one reason or another. This is also not the case, as I am able to create a directory on the drive using the old Dos command MD.

This seems to have everybody stumped!

Run FDISK from a bootup floppy, and tell us everything you see:

1. How many partitions are listed on the HDD?

2. What size are they?

3. Which partition is active?

4. Is one a primary partition, and the other one a logical partition in an extended partition, or are they BOTH primary partitions?

5. Do you want to DELETE that CONFIG partition, and recover the disk space, or do you want to KEEP the CONFIG partition?

Post your answers here; if you want to wipe the drive completely, so you can use ALL of the space, let me know, and I'll post instructions on how to clean the drive completely, which will allow you to use ALL of the space on the drive.

Please answer my questions in order (which will make it easier to keep things simple), and we'll have a better idea about what to do next.

Good luck; keep us posted.

beno78

I deleted all partitions using FDISK, and recreated a single primary partition, then started setup again, and all worked ok

Great, the original method was just not right for a Win98 install. Formats should be done from outside any "setup" program. I don't know how you did that. And using XP is also not the way to go.

You can mark the thread "Solved" if you like, using the Thread Tools menu.

Glad to know you got it working; if you hadn't been able to delete that other partition, I was going to explain how to use MADBOOT to zero-fill the drive.

You told us you COULDN'T delete that CONFIG partition:

"I cannot remove the partition, as I have tried."

so I figured you needed something heavy-duty to get rid of it.

Truthfully, I don't understand what you meant by this:

"I have also used the setup switch that forces the setup to run to a certain location, ie SETUP C:\windows."

Which "setup switch" are you referring to? I always use the command:

"SETUP /IE /IV"

when installing Win9.x from a DOS prompt, but your method has me scratching my head trying to figure out what you were doing, and why it didn't work.

Anyway, seems like you're in business now...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.