1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error Uninstalling Security Update 823559

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thump3, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

I can not get Security Update 823559 to install I found a solution on this thread http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165442
    That thread calls for uninstalling and then reinstalling however, I get this error when I try to uninstall
    Error: Could not locate INF file C:\Windows\INF\QFE\WinME\823559UN.INF
    Please help me I just want to get this critical update behind me I'm running Windows ME

2. mobo

mobo

Sometimes uninstalling from safe mode works better.

3. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

No such luck. :(
    Same error as before.

4. mobo

mobo

See if you can locate C:\Windows\INF\QFE\WinME\823559 in a windows search and if found right click it and delete it.

5. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

File is not present on my computer. There is no C:\Windows\INF directory even

6. mobo

mobo

Search for 823559..

7. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

Still nothing.

8. mobo

mobo

Does it show in add /remove programs at all ?

9. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

Yes and when I try to uninstall I get
    Error: Could not locate INF file C:\Windows\INF\QFE\WinME\823559UN.INF

10. mobo

mobo

Take note of the exact listing in add/remove programs. The right click on the start button and select explore. Click on c drive and scroll down to windows. then scroll a little further down again and you should see another windows folder. click on it and look for the update there and if found right click on it and delete.

11. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

Windows Millenium Edition Q823559 Update in add/remove programs
    Update nowhere to be found in windows explorer

12. gmh

gmh

You might have received a bad download of
    823559 for Windows ME.

Try downloading again ??

13. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

Yeah and again and again and again and so on.

14. mobo

mobo

If you check the history from the update page you will probably see that the download is full of erors, however there is something on your hard drive that is telling microsoft update that fact so you will have to figure its exact name and location to delete it .

15. thump3

thump3 Thread Starter

Finally got my problem resolved. Here is how I did it
    Alright first I went back to the Microsoft knowledge base article MS03-023: Buffer Overrun in the HTML Converter Could Allow Code Execution where I found that: This patch supports the following Setup switches:
    /t: path Specifies the target folder for extracting files.
    /c Extracts the files without installing them. If /t: path is not specified, you are prompted for a target folder.

/c: path Specifies the path and name of the Setup .inf file or the .exe file.
    among others, but these are the key ones for my purpose so I ran the file using this in the run line like this because I had the file saved on my desktop for installation purposes. C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\823559.EXE /t:C:\Windows\Desktop /C
    This extracted the files onto my desktop and much to my surprise that missing file 823559UN.INF was among the extracted so I proceeded to put it in
    C:\Windows\INF\QFE\WinME\823559UN.INF INF is a hidden folder so I changed it to where I could view it I had to create a WinME folder within QFE and then copied the file over to the WinME folder created. I was then able to uninstall it from add/remove programs and when I reinstalled it manually all seemed to be going well. Went to Windows Update and scanned for updates there were no more critical update to be installed so the problem is now resolved. I hope my struggles with this update can help someone else.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice