1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error: USB device not recognized

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by hennesseye, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hennesseye

hennesseye Thread Starter

My new E-machines PC (w/VISTA O/S) had been working fine for a month when I started getting the following error message: "USB device not recognized: One of the USB devices attached to this PC has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.... Try reconnecting the device. If Windows doesn't recognize it, replace the device."

The details of the error message indicate that USB port #5 is connected to an unknown device and all other USB ports are unused. That is not accurate: two devices (speakers and printer) are connected via USB - and both are functioning and have up-to-date drivers as confirmed through Device Manager.

There is no pattern to the repeating error message: sometimes it returns several times in a minute - other times it takes an hour or longer to recur.

I've disconnected and reconnected the devices, powered the PC off/on and even did a system restore to the day before the error message first appeared. Nothing has worked yet.

Suggestions for next steps would be appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice